Stihl 036 screwing with me......

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jmaffei

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ok, so I got a 036 off craiglist with nice 20 in. bar for 50 or 60 bucks a year ago. He couldn't get it to start but it wasn't locked up is how I got such a good deal. Turns out the carb was set like 5 screws too rich. So I adjust it right and it fires up but running sorta rough. Was made I think in 1992 or 1991 so I figure get new impulse, fuel lines, carb kit, fuel filter and it runs great, compression 160. After a while of cutting it starts cutting off on me so I think maybe bad coil so I let it get real hot and test for spark and it is good. After a couple more months I can't get it to start at all so I clean the carb and that helps but I am done messing with the carb so I get a brand new one. Got it today, factory settings have it idle at 3k and top out at 13.5k and it is running great so I start making some cuts and it cuts out and I cannot get it started again. Pull the plug and it doesn't really look like its getting fuel. Is the fuel line already bad again or could it be the coil. Another thing I heard about is when it warms up the compression can drop so if I can get it started and hot tomm I will check the compression then. Also, I opened the gas tank to see if it was the vent, no pressure released and didn't help the starting. I am wondering it one of the seals is bad it could cause a gradual air leak to where they richened it up that bad but I wouldn't think it would work so well with the new carb kit and carb if that were the case. Can someone please tell me what they think is wrong with the saw (or me)? Not afraid to try a new coil since I only have about 150 in the saw total right now and I can tell its a great saw. Thanks, James

Compression difference between hot and cold is usually about 10 to 15 lbs in my expierence.

The only thing I can think of is check all your wires really good could be grounding out some where and when you move it around it is ok for awhile. A shot in the dark I know but you never know

Latest posts

Back