Stihl 038 AVS ignition Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stratostreak

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings. I've just purchased a blown up 038 AVS powerhead that's been partially disassembled for $50. It's complete except for the flywheel. There are 3 bolt holes in the crankcase casting that suggest something was bolted in behind the flywheel. I do have the external ignition coil that bolts on next to the flywheel. Do I only need the external coil or is there supposed to be an ignition (trigger) disk bolted in behind the flywheel? Thanks in advance for any help....fyi I'm planning to do a 038 Mag build on this thing.

Bolt Holes

My guess for the bolt holes would be mounting holes for a generator (if) the saw was equipped with heated handle bars. This was optional equipment for the 038 saws. If I'm wrong, someone correct me here :msp_unsure:

Congrats on owning a great saw! I've got 2 Supers that are waiting to be converted as well, so I hope things go smoothly for you. Just remember to post pics along the way, we like pictures :rock:

Latest posts

Back