Stihl 038 chain brake

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

209primer

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Greetings Chainsaw Gurus,

I have a question about the chain brake on my 038 Mag. Compared to my newer generation saws there is a large gap between the handlebar and the chain brake lever on this older saw. Is this normal? See picture. Both saws have the brake activated.stihl brakes.JPG

My concern about this is safety related. My understanding of the reason for the small gap is that the operator's left wrist will actuate the brake in the event of a kickback when the saw is forced upward. My concern is that the significant gap between the handlebar and the brake on the 038 would prevent this safety feature from being useful.

image.jpg
Top photo is with brake disengaged. Bottom is engaged.

The brake engages as soon as the cam trips and the handle moves forward...no different than any other stihl saw.

The brake doesn't engage at the end of the handle stroke...

Your sh!t looks broke too:laugh:
Here's mines with the brake engaged...maybe there's a few variations of the 038 brake? Mines from Brazil fwiw
image.jpg

My saw appears to be Brazilian. The brake is unlike any other Stihl saw I've used. I definitely agree with the "ohshit" observation, which is why I wrote the post. Are there other Stihl models that are like this?

The brake lever on my 038 Mag rests in the engaged position like the picture in big t double's pic. ( 45 deg angle) Although it engages and disengages at the same spot at the top of the muffler and the end of the top cover. There is about 10 degrees of free movement/ slop in the engaged position.

Latest posts

Back