Stihl 038 questions

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

extraspecialman

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Ive always been a Stihl man and probably shouldnt have to ask this,but I just dont know ,so heres my question.I have seen just plain 038s,038 Farm Bosses,038 Supers,and I once owned a 038 Farm Boss Super.I know that the 038 Magnum has more displacement,but what are the power differences on the other saws?I have heard that a plain 38 has a single ring,while the Farm Boss and Supers have 2 ring pistons.Is that right?I know you guys can answer this,so thanks in advance for all your answers

There are 2 038's

1. 038av it's 62cc
and the 2. 038 magnum which is 72cc. All the other names you mentioned would still be a 038av except for the Mag.
I don't think there is a Super? If there is it would be a 66cc and in between the av and the mag.

Last edited:
Zodiac, I am sorry to tell you, but you are wrong; there is a 038 super. The cc goes as following, straight 038 60cc, 038 super 67 cc, Mag I and II 72 cc. I don't quite know the differences in the farmboss models but I assume it is just marketing. If it doesn't have super on it, I assume it is a straigth regular 038.

Also, you can not just bolt a magnum top end on a 038 or 038 super; the cases are different. Mad professor is attempting to slot the case holes on a regular 038 or super and put on a 038 mag top end.

Yep three sizes for the 038's

The Farm Boss is the same saw as the super, 67cc

Mine/Dads is an 038 AVS Farm Boss. :cheers:

Zodiac, I am sorry to tell you, but you are wrong; there is a 038 super. The cc goes as following, straight 038 60cc, 038 super 67 cc, Mag I and II 72 cc. I don't quite know the differences in the farmboss models but I assume it is just marketing. If it doesn't have super on it, I assume it is a straigth regular 038.

Also, you can not just bolt a magnum top end on a 038 or 038 super; the cases are different. Mad professor is attempting to slot the case holes on a regular 038 or super and put on a 038 mag top end.

The 038S is now a 038M. I did a previous post on this.

Only modifications needed was to slot the cyl holes with a dremel to match up with the case holes, remove a bit of metal from the outside of the cyl so the T27 bolt heads can seat flush, then open up the access holes through the cyl fins so the T27 torx driver can get to the bolt heads. You also need to use a 038M base gasket with the holes also slotted, the 038S gasket will fit but it will block some of the flow into the cyl. Tools needed are some carbide cutters, a dremel, and a round file to open up the holes in the cyl fins. It took me about an hour to do the work on the cyl.

I also opened up the muffler so that the inlet matched the exhaust port, the 038M exhaust port is a little wider. While I was at it I also opened up the internal baffle and the slotted outlet on the dual port muffler.

Saw started on 2nd pull!!!

038 AV's had two rings if I remember right. There are very few stihl models that have single rings. Some 024's and I believe some 041's are examples of stihls with single rings.

That is good news Mad professor. Have you cut wood with it? Could you get me a link to your old thread?

I hope to run it in some wood this afternoon. Shortly after I got it together one of the few things I didn't replace, the fuel line, developed a leak. It started on 2nd pull, ran great for a few minutes then stopped getting fuel, would only fire on choke. Turns out bending the old fuel line while putting in the carb caused a crack that was not there before putting things together. LOL, replace all the cheap stuff if you are doing a rebuild. I got the replacement fuel line in today and have some Avgas mixed up and ready to go. The 20" ES bar has been reground and fitted with new 8 pin rim and new 33RSC chain.

It's supposed to hit 70 for the first time since last fall, I hope the black flies don't make an appearance this afternoon.........

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?t=65689&highlight=038M

P.S. just purchased a nice digital camera, will have pictures of the next conversion.

To my knowledge the 381 isn't much different than the MS380 except it has a decomp valve.

Shows a picture here

The features the 380 has that the 038 mag II doesn't have are.
1) Side access tensioner
2) See through gas tank
3) Recontoured plastic
4) ElastoStart
5) etc.

Awesome, why the hell can't they sell those in the UK/USA/Australia? And the 070...

yeah yeah I know emissions etc., but why has the 026/024 lasted so long then?

Last edited:
Don't forget MS380 and MS381 on the list of 038's.

Hey Andrew - re your avatar... You know biomass (wood) is officially classed as solar, as is hydro and wind!

PS, v jeaulous if you actually have an MS381. I was looking at a brand new one on aus ebay, with no intention of forking out for it though

To my knowledge the 381 isn't much different than the MS380 except it has a decomp valve.

Shows a picture here

The features the 380 has that the 038 mag II doesn't have are.
1) Side access tensioner
2) See through gas tank
3) Recontoured plastic
4) ElastoStart
5) etc.

...and a higher power rating for the 380, and higher again for the 381.

Last edited:
038 AV's had two rings if I remember right. There are very few stihl models that have single rings. Some 024's and I believe some 041's are examples of stihls with single rings.

As well as everyone's favorite, the venerable 009! (I think):chainsawguy:
(the saw that singlehandedly leveled the sequoyia forests)

Hey Eccentric,
How are those C-5's running? got mine going about a month ago, put a new bar and chain on it and it has been running like a striped ape. This is also after my local Stihl dealer told me to drop it in a trash can or use it for parts.

Latest posts

Back