stihl 038 replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

uglydukwling

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago I asked for advice about a 038 that's gotten too hard to start. I didn't get any response, and now I'm thinking more in terms of replacing the saw. I've been using it over 20 years, so maybe it's time to move on.

What current saw would be closest to a replacement for the 038? On further reflection, I might be better of with a smaller, handier saw, since I'm no longer heating with wood ( arthritis convinced me I don't really want to cut firewood and copd convinced me I shouldn't burn it) and the saw will now be used mainly for cleaning up storm damage. (The 066 still works if I absolutely have to cut something monstrous, but it gets heavy a lot faster than it used to.)
I'm not married to Stihl, but I'd like to stay with one of the quality brands. I have too many memories of frustration with toy saws from the days when I didn't know/couldn't afford better.
Another reason not to move down to a much smaller saw is that I have most of a spool of 3/8" x .050 chain that I was using for the 038 and it would be nice to keep using the same chain on the replacement saw.

Depends what modle 038 you have. The magnum wich is the big one is like the 441 at 72cc. You old one just hard to start. May have a week diaphram in carb. Rebuild carb. Do a compression test. Pull muffler check cylinder and piston for scoring. Mabe pressure vsc test it. Spark plug. Just some stuffbto check

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

Thanks. I'll look into the 362 and whatever the next model down is.

As for this saw, I've tried everything. It has spark. It has compression.. I even put a new carb on it because someone with the same saw and the same problem told me that made his into a new saw. The funny thing is, once it starts, it seems to run as well as it did when it was new. It just won't start without a whiff of ether. I realize that's probably not good for it (besides being damned inconvenient), but it doesn't look like I have much to lose.

Add to the window shopping list the Echo CS620SX (if you want a great professional saw) or a CS600 (if you want just a great general purpose saw). I don't know about the US/Canadian market but starting this year Echo is shipping the 620 with a Sugihara bar a standard for the same price. Not too shabby.
Another to add to the list is the Dolmar PS6100. It's also available on some markets with a heated handle (PS6100H).

Regarding your saw... how are fuel lines? Have you tried changing them? They can and will affect starting if they are rotten, either from use or (more likely) ethanol. I had an old McCulloch brushcutter on my workbench which was driving me insane for exactly the same reason until my brother suggested I tried changing the fuel lines.

I never thought about the fuel line. I've changed the filter, the carb, the spark plug, but not the fuel line. It's about the cheapest thing I could replace, so I'd better try it before I replace the whole saw. It would be slightly embarrassing if that was the only thing that was wrong all along.

I never thought about the fuel line. I've changed the filter, the carb, the spark plug, but not the fuel line. It's about the cheapest thing I could replace, so I'd better try it before I replace the whole saw. It would be slightly embarrassing if that was the only thing that was wrong all along.
I just had a fuel line that looked and tested good bit was too soft frm fuel or age it was pinching enough it would not start unless spray mix in carb. After that ran great. Put new line on all was good.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

For the conditions of use you list a saw in the 362 class should fit the bill. It won't be as strong as the 038 but it sounds like you might not need another workhorse because you have the 66. I wouldn't trade my 038 for a 362 but I have what's commonly referred to as CAD.

The 362 won't have the low-end grunt of the 038 (any of them), but it would probably be a good replacement.

On your 038, replace the fuel line and impulse line if that doesn't fix it, I'd be about out of ideas too.

I have a 362C and its a good working saw but it is no where near a 038 Magnum or any of the 038 series for torque. The 362 will cut, they are smooth and nearly vibration less but are a more modern choked down engine due to EPA intervention.

Check out the Dolmar 6100 and 6400. That might be about the best bang for the buck on a good light weight saw. And they both cost a couple hundred less than the 562 and 362. They're all on clearance now that they're rebranding to Makita.

Just a couple other common problems of hard starting:
If your choke isn't fully closing it will be a hard starter. Could be from wear at pivot points on the switch cam, spring etc.. Try taking the air filter off and making sure the choke flap stays 100% closed when on. Also u can cover the carb throat with your thumb and see if that makes it start quick. Sure don't like using ether, some fuel mix in a squirt bottle is much better. Another source of hard starting is if the part throttle isn't set high enough.
With arthritis highly consider and try running the spring dampened saws for smoothness. May be some of the others are well enough but if your sensitive to vibration it seems the spring system feels most always smoother. 3/8 would work fine on Stihl ms series 261 or 271 with an 16" bar, longer bars 361, 362, 291, 311, 391,441. Just depends what you most need the saw for and how long you want to keep it and the amount of $ you want to spend. I'd favor smaller to get old with and keep to the end unless I need more power for more work. The 60 cc Echo sound like a good choice also but I am not familiar with running them. The Dolmar and Makita's are smooth and nice, I had a Makita 6401 which was very smooth and an easy starter probably near the weight of an 038. Husky 562 or Jonsered = are smooth strong runners. Nice to be able to spend some run time on them before buying for keeps. 1 thing I can tell u about the Stihls if u decide you don't want to keep it, they sell well as used, so it isn't usually a very costly experience.

Years back the 038 Mags were very popular in the pulp wood operations here in northwestern Ontario.Most of the cutters would request their new 038s came with the Bing carbs .The tiliston Hk42b carbs were known for hard starting but ran good all day once started . The saw shops threw the tillys in the garbage no mechanic I ever talked too ever had a cure Strange beacause almost all other tills are great.I still have the tilly on the 038 mag I bought used. starts hard runs great I would change to bing but with the low Canadian dollar its not the time.
They are great saws.
Kash

>On further reflection, I might be better of with a smaller, handier saw, since I'm no longer heating with wood

no doubt smaller than an 038 or similar sized saw, but I cannot say enough Good Stuff about my new Echo CS271-T featherweight chainsaw. 12" bar. starts right up now. i got it over other brands wanting a featherweight, i have an 019T because I use Echo trimmers and really like them, too. this saw has same engine as my pro Echo 266T trimmer. today I was bucking up to 8" chunks of oak with mine as I worked over some recent oak I had hauled in. I got this saw for in-close work along fence lines out in the country. hold sapling, or branch in L hand and 271 in R hand and so much utility, so easy to use... very powerful for size. I just :heart: my Echo CS 271-T!. I don't usually think of using it for much more than 1-2" stuff, but so handy. chain is brand-new sharp... and the saw has handled anything I have asked it to do with both confidence and authority!!! I don't work it hard in big stuff... and let it do its thing... but I am convinced that if I did a vid of it cutting a felled end's circle... say 8-10"... it would make for a very impressive performance. I would definitely call my 271 a small, handier saw. and it comes with a 5-year warranty. can you beat that? :)

cs271t.jpg

http://www.echo-usa.com/Products/Chain-Saws/CS-271T

Latest posts

Back