Stihl 038AV, leaking gas tank

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pdqdl

Old enough to know better.
. AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
As mentioned in the title, my good running Stihl 038AV has developed a leak in the metal fuel tank. I know there are various sealing methods, but I don't really have any experience with them.

I found a reasonably priced aftermarket replacement part here: http://store.chainsawr.com/products...-new-replaces-pn-1119-350-0852-bulky-1000-bin

The seller advises me that I will also need a different air filter cover if I use that replacement part.

Any advice? What is the old saw worth once restored to full function? (in other words, is it worth spending the time & money on)

They are a bit heavy, but very strong, fairly bullet proof, and have a good following. I sold a well used but well running 038av recently for $250. Your metal tank is probably leaking on the seam? Mine did that as well. I used a wire wheel in the dremel to clean the paint off, JB welded it, and repainted the repair area. Worked great for me.

3M 8001 Weatherstrip will fix almost anything. Metal - plastic - glass - wood - rubber..etc.- maybe even a bad marriage..LOL

About $8 dollars for a large tube at any auto parts or hardware store. Rough-up surface and apply light coat..let dry 24 hours.

Another coat on top and another 24 hrs. - a third coat and another 24 hrs. - - it's done - - gas and oil can't touch it - or vibration..!!
J2F

I like that plan with the weatherstrip, but I'm afraid that doesn't fit my plan. I think that yellow stuff all over the outside would seriously discourage a potential buyer. You see, I have too many saws, and it makes sense to keep the brand new 441 instead.

I wonder if I could seal the leak on the inside with the 3M weatherstrip...

Ok. I got ambitious and broke it all down. This saw must be an older version; it has a metal tank with a sealed cover that can be pried off. The cover has a very slight warp, which will be easy to clamp down for sealing purposes.

It turns out that this fuel tank has been sealed before, most likely with JB weld, or some other hard sealant. After I clean up all the edges, restoring it back to shiny metal, what should I seal it back with?

038 fuel tank split.JPG

Last edited:
i have a saw with the same problem, was it hard to get pried apart and resealed? i was thinking about just sealing the seam where it leaks but the total take down looks better i bet.

This tank had been sealed up previously. First, I worked the entire outside edge, scraping and chipping off the stuff that was glommed all around the outside of the crack. Then I started prying (Gently!) down at the corner on bottom left, and I just kept wiggling. Whatever adhesive was applied in the past was not terribly effective; it chipped off pretty easily. It looked like JB weld.

There is a tiny little post on the upper corner closest to the engine; that will be the last part you wish to pry apart.

if JB Weld failed in the past, I certainly do not wish to repeat that mistake. Does anyone know what Stihl uses as a sealant on these tanks?

I have used a product called "Seal All". It dries clear and does an excellent job of sealing up anything to do with gasoline.

if JB Weld failed in the past, I certainly do not wish to repeat that mistake. Does anyone know what Stihl uses as a sealant on these tanks?

Last edited:
I have used a product called "Seal All". It dries clear and does an excellent job of sealing up anything to do with gasoline.

I'm going to try some of that. Thanks for the tip. Home Depot is supposed to have it, less than Amazon, with no waiting. I like the fact that it is clear and paintable, too.

min was never repaired, i got it from my father in-law and back in the day it got hit by a tree butt. it leaks from the seam on the bottom in a little 1-1.5 in section. i might clean that area and try that stuff workshop talked about

Marine Tex epoxy putty is what I use. It's impervious to fuel once cured. I have a repair on an aluminum boat that is now 30 years old.

Well...I got the Seal All for $3. This looks like it will be stupidly easy.

It even has the ability to act as a contact cement if you pre-treat the sides to be joined. I didn't.

I just popped the seal, then poured a ribbon into the slotted cover, then pressed the tank down into the puddle of Seal All. So far, it looks like it has made a great seal. I will leave it clamped in the vise over the weekend, then add another coat on the outside.

I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

OK! As stated above, I cleaned the tank edges, glued it up, and let it set all weekend. I put another coat on this morning, and I filled it with gas and reassembled it this evening.

So far, it runs great, NO LEAKS. I seem to be missing a couple of screws, but I can fix the missing spots real easy.

Tomorrow will be the test. I left it full of gas to the very top. If it is going to leak, it should show up in a couple of days. Until then, I am going to find the bar for it, set it up with a new chain, and give it back to my father-in-law. He is a fine gentleman; he asked me if I could do anything with it, and that was a long time ago. I will be happy to have spent only $3.00 and some time restoring his favorite chainsaw.

In summary, if the Seal All doesn't dissolve or fail to hold, I really liked working with this stuff. It is clear, dries very firm (but not rigid), and is a snap to clean up. I spilled a few drops on the desk I was working on, and I just rubbed each drop back & forth with my finger until it soaked up enough dirt to dry out and rub off. It stuck to my finger pretty good, but that wore off during the day too. It beats JB-Weld hands down for ease of use, and at $3.00, I cannot complain about giving it a try.

I fixed the tank on my 038 Super with "Form-a- gasket" liquid rubber. Get it at auto parts stores. Works like a charm.

Back