stihl 041 farmboss

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Maybe turn screws out some more. Not sure about screws on that model but I worked on an old 08S that someone mixed up H andL. It did similar things as yours. Once I switched it was fixed. again not sure if yours can be switched though.:cheers:

041 Farmboss - Carb Rebuild

Well I tried backing out the Low and High speed screws to try to get fuel to the carb and into engine... So far no luck. Plug remains dry.

Before I rebuilt the carb, I think I was getting too much gas somehow, and it was flooding, Now I think something is keeping gas from getting to the engine.

Are there any tests to do to see where the gas is getting to...for example can I somehow tell if gas getting pumped into carb and and not making it from there... I am out of bullets...

Man you got to be overlooking something or put carb back together wrong. No offense. Does it do anything with any combo,choke on fast idle, full throttle, while trying to start. If you have gone through entire fuel system it should run somewhat,at least cough a little.:D

041 FarmBoss Carb Rebuild

I agree, I have to be missing something. I have had the carb apart and back together a dozen times. (Maybe more) Bought some carb cleaner to soak it in, put in carb kit, just don't know where to start, I guess I will end up taking to the Stihl Shop. I kind of feel defeated. I am definitly out of ideas....

I agree, I have to be missing something. I have had the carb apart and back together a dozen times. (Maybe more) Bought some carb cleaner to soak it in, put in carb kit, just don't know where to start, I guess I will end up taking to the Stihl Shop. I kind of feel defeated. I am definitly out of ideas....
you sure the fuel line is clear - not kinked or something? Try blowing through it with the cap off - it should bubble

harrygrey382:
That's a good idea... That would prettly well say how much pressure it should take to pump gas the other way....

I did put a little compressed air to the supply line from the tank to the carb, it and it quickly pressurized the tank and blew gas back through the vent in the gas cap. Although the result wasn't exactly what I was looking for, I thought that would have proved the filter was not plugged and the vent was working.

did you hook the metering diaphragm in the diaphragm lever?

Yes... I ordered a carb kit and it came in, but the diaphram configuration was different on the new one. It did not have a slot cut in the center pin that would connect to the lever. So I had to use the old one. It looked good, and very similar to the new one, except for the slot in the old one.

I complained to the company I bought it from, but no response. Other than that kit matched exactly ....

I would check the old versus new carb parts. You just said you reused your lever. Not really the same but I mixed and matched parts on an old 8N tractor and the thing was flooding worse than before I started. Found out needles were different. Looked same at a glance. I would verify all the parts are the same. If you have to try old needle again. Dont get it mixed up!:dizzy:

Just reread this post and you never commented about the condition of the impulse hose.Also it sounds like you may have put the gaskets and the diaphragm in the wrong order. Double check,I've done it myself too many times.

Also check your needle lever,it should be level or flush with the top of the carb body.

Was the old diaphram stiff that you put back into the carb? They can look fine, but be bad. That or a bad impulse. Mine was a ##### until I replaced a few parts. Now shes ol dependable.

OK... I made some progress tonight. I got it to run...from all the ideas here, I think I finally stumbled into the problem. It was not getting gas, because the Carb never was able to pull in gas. The diaphram was dry and not wetted. I think I read that on a post here last night, that during a rebuild, your supposed to wet the carburetor.

So I was checking the gas line tonight and I could easily blow through it and make bubbles in the fuel tank. I decided to see if I could make it run enough to get it to pull in gas if it was going to... So after about 3 cycles of squirting some gas in the throat and letting run, Finally it took off and ran on it's own. I had the low speed and high speed adjustment screws backed out so it didn't run so good... so I re-set the screws and WAMMO... it started and ran just about as good as it could... So come the weekend...I am gonna get to test it out!!!! THANKS for everyone on this forum..:givebeer:

With Temperatures in the 60's yesterday, I couldn't resist trying it out on some of the storm damage I have to clean up. It ran pretty good. I had to tweak the carb a bit, but that should be expected.

Yes, it did bring back memories. This was my Dad's saw. He bought it around 1978, I was just out of high school. It was a big deal for me back then to use that saw. I'm glad to get it going again....I just forgot how heavy it was.... 30 yrs ago, it didn't seem all that heavy..Wonder why???

Thanks again for everyone who helped out with ideas and responses...

Glad to hear ya' got her figured out.

Make sure you get the carb tuned right on the high side.The first time I adjusted my 041 I didn't know what I was doing and tuned it for peak rpm's.
Needless to say it lean seized.

Do a search here on carb adjustment there is a wealth of info.

Back