Stihl 041's

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sefh3

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I know this series Stihl produced for many of years and changed the design throughout it's production run. I have had and ran my 041 AV for a few years. Always liked the saw and enjoyed the torque. I picked up the 041FB for $30 and don't care for the non av but like the torque. Now the 041AV Super changed things a bit. More torque than the AV. I just finished 2 of these 3 saws this weekend.
A special THANKS to psuiewalsh for sending me some extra parts to get the Super going.

Beautiful Glock. I just picked up a complete (except for chain brake)41AV Farm Boss today. Not much compression and no chain brake parts but for the price I can sell the bar and get my money back if I want to. But I want to rebuild it. Just haven't checked into parts availability for these yet so I may be visiting this thread or starting one of my own if that's more appropriate as I start to work on it.

I like the 041 saws too. I've had some AV versions and one very nice non-AV Farm Boss and ultimately sold them all. I did get my hands on a decent 041 Super that was in pretty good shape, but needed TLC. It made good compression, but when I took it apart I found the piston showed light scoring all around like you'd see when straight-gassed. I acquired two other 041 parts saws for donors and completely disassembled the Super. I got all new gaskets, seals, lines and bearings, as well as a NOS piston (cylinder is pristine). Now it's just hanging out waiting for the rebuild. The Supers make for a challenging project saw since so many of the super-specific parts are NLA....

All original,

IMG_2141.jpg

IMG_2142.jpg

IMG_2152.jpg

I like the 041 saws too. I've had some AV versions and one very nice non-AV Farm Boss and ultimately sold them all. I did get my hands on a decent 041 Super that was in pretty good shape, but needed TLC. It made good compression, but when I took it apart I found the piston showed light scoring all around like you'd see when straight-gassed. I acquired two other 041 parts saws for donors and completely disassembled the Super. I got all new gaskets, seals, lines and bearings, as well as a NOS piston (cylinder is pristine). Now it's just hanging out waiting for the rebuild. The Supers make for a challenging project saw since so many of the super-specific parts are NLA....
So many of these saws lost a piston from the intake stack shaking loose and causing a huge air leak. I rebuilt my Super around a NOS piston and cylinder I was lucky to find. The original cylinder cleaned up pretty good, it will be a spare for now. I'm sure I posted this photo before but who knows if it survived the crash.

Attachments

• IMG_3708.JPG
    IMG_3708.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 17
The carb flange coming loose is one big issue but the air filter leaves a little to be desired on these saws. If you start cutting with a dull chain those fine particles go right through the filter and down the carb they go.

All original! That's a great looking saw Jerry. Scott, I notice in the pics that started this thread that some 2 of yours don't have a brake. Mine looks just the same. Did some of these come without?

None of mine have chainbrakes on them. The one has a handle guard but no brake. I do think the latest run of these saws did have chainbrakes on them. The one posted by Glock37 has a chainbrake.

They started putting brakes on the AV model right at the very end, so there aren't very many of those.

All original! That's a great looking saw Jerry. Scott, I notice in the pics that started this thread that some 2 of yours don't have a brake. Mine looks just the same. Did some of these come without?

That saw came to me from the wife of a once prominent surgeon. They own a summer residence up this way, I once cut up a couple of saplings that had fallen across their driveway preventing them from getting to their oceanfront place. Just happened to be building a new home next door. The following year the wife and son came back up, the surgeon had passed away from a heart attack during the winter. She had remembered me cutting those small trees and brought me the 041 in its original Stihl case, spare new chain, scrench and manual just as it came from the dealer. The good Dr. had started it once to cut up a fallen branch or part of a tree but determined the saw was not safe to be used as it had no chainbrake. They hired a professional crew to clean up the tree part, the saw was drained of fuel and oil and put back in the case, stored in a heated basement til I got it.

Here is my dad old 041 that I redid for him for Christmas this year. I just posted some pics in the antique thread as well. It fell off the tractor and much of it was crushed (rear handle, front handlebar, top cover and clutch cover). He put some oil in the cylinder and it sat for around 15 years. This was his first new saw and he used it to build the log cabin I grew up in, on the farm, when he had his sawmill, to cut firewood for my house and my grandparents (which was the only source of heat for both) and for logging to support the dairy. I bought a parts saw off ebay that had the parts I needed plus new ignition parts. After getting it timed it fired right up. The first time I heard it run it brought me back to being a little kid with my dad in the woods. They do have a unique sound. I have put together enough parts to complete the parts saw as well. Will post a thread about that once I get started (needs at least new rings).

Back