Stihl 042 AV Clutch Cover Gap?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tla100

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
Well, I have this Stihl 042, was sold as a non runner, sale fell thru. Anyway, I did get the old girl running. Found out the oiler is not working. First of all it had a small hole in oil line from tank to pump. Got one on order. But figured I would dig a bit deeper. Pulled clutch cover off to access the oil pump and gears. Well, it was full of gunk/sawdust/oil and it looked like the plastic worm gear drive on the pump was not engaged to the plastic gear off crank. So I cleaned and pulled pump. I blew thru all orifices, so I think I am ok, but did order replacement worm gear drive set as I had to order rubber oil line also.

So I was going to test run it, and putting back together, but seen the clutch cover seems to have a gap on the top side. is this normal? Looks like a pin on the rear may need to pushed in more to let the cover sit flush. Or does it not need to be flush? First time I have had this old timer apart. Pics will show better than I can explain. Thanks.

Thanks for reply, I did not know if this came with chain brake.

The cover I am talking about is the flat cover that sits on top of clutch, under the spur gear. not the actual out clutch cover.

Back