Stihl 042 is ALIVE!!!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FLY ROD72

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Been looking around here for a while. Bought a 042 almost a year ago and finally got around to getting it to run. Put a new carb kit in it and would not run right so I started looking on the forum and did some test and found the crank case gasket was leaking. Order new gasket, impulse line, carb boot, and head gasket. Took it apart and put it back together and guess what? Pulled it twice at full choke and it popped off, 1/2 choke and 1 pull fires right up just like a brand new one. SWEEEEEEEEEEEET. Ran great. So now I am in need of a bigger bar (has a 20 on it). Was wondering if a 32 would be to much or should I go with a 28 instead. And what type of chain. Just a big thanks for all of your silent help these past few weeks. A little side note as of today I only have 75.00 in it as of now.

Last edited:
Well done!! :) The more we keep alive the better! :D post some pics up mate. :)

oh, no idea about the bar and chain :p

They are cool saws, has a nice sound to it. I rebuild one for a friend of mine and wished I could have kept it. :( Did you change over to the newer type screws when you put the case back together? The original setup was lockwashers, better to put the new style torx screws in the case. A for bar size, 25" is probaably the max I would go on it. It is about the same as a 044/440 and they run best with a 20" and occasional 25" if needed.

Last edited:
That 042 is a torque monster. It will pull a 32" bar just fine, even in hardwood. Used one on a number of commercial jobs a number of years back and it always wore the 32" bar with full comp chain. The saw just pulled and pulled, even with the bar buried in red oak. Great saw.

Latest posts

Back