Stihl 044 10mm piston issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Trent Curtis

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
A09BACEB-D36B-4202-931F-0D217616DEFA.jpeg I’m not a Stihl guy and I know these saws came with more than one crank/piston combo

this one is a 10mm wrist pin...... so I ordered a meteor piston for the saw...... put it on and something is off. There is some serious machine difference here....... this piston can walk a good 1/4”+.

am I missing something? Or is this just a poorly manufactured product?

Trent

View attachment 773235 I’m not a Stihl guy and I know these saws came with more than one crank/piston combo

this one is a 10mm wrist pin...... so I ordered a meteor piston for the saw...... put it on and something is off. There is some serious machine difference here....... this piston can walk a good 1/4”+.

am I missing something? Or is this just a poorly manufactured product?

Trent

Its a well known issue with the Meteor piston for the 10mm pin application, the company refuses to correct this situation, they have been contacted about this many times. Many have run them as is without failure but we all know its not the best.

Its a well known issue with the Meteor piston for the 10mm pin application, the company refuses to correct this situation, they have been contacted about this many times. Many have run them as is without failure but we all know its not the best.

thanks for the info- I guess going cheap was a waste, cause there’s no way I’m running it like that. I’ll pitch the meteor junker and order OEM.

running like that would certainly shorten the life of the big end/crank bearing.

I wonder if there's a different bearing that you're supposed to use with that piston?
The piston isn't going anywhere once the cylinder is installed but it looks like the bearing could find it's way to one side or the other and possibly cause problems.

I wonder if there's a different bearing that you're supposed to use with that piston?
The piston isn't going anywhere once the cylinder is installed but it looks like the bearing could find it's way to one side or the other and possibly cause problems.

What Meteor did was use the piston for a 12mm pin rod end, just make the pin bore smaller, the 12mm rod is wider and fits the piston quite well, however the 10mm rod end is much narrower than the 12mm one and there is too much clearance on either side. There is no different pin bearing for this application. Spacer bushings can be made up to keep everything centered, many of us have gone this route, hard brass and Delron have been used successfully.

Back