Stihl 044, 290

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Power is good at 150psi+, both the 044 and 290 should make this. 130s and 140s will be down on full power, less than that and they need rings or a rebuild.

My 044's running 145 and still cuts like a big dog. Doesn't cut as well as my almost brand new Univent, but it does hold it's own. Love em both.

I just bought an 044 2 weeks ago that measured 160 PSI. Bought it from someone I met on AS and lives in my town. He said the saw is like new with that much compression. All I know is that it eats wood!:chainsawguy:

Mine is at 140-145 cold, 130-135 hot... Starting to see a bit of a power drop, but not much. Anyone have luck with a NON OEM Piston and Cylinder from Baileys?

Mine is at 140-145 cold, 130-135 hot... Starting to see a bit of a power drop, but not much. Anyone have luck with a NON OEM Piston and Cylinder from Baileys?

buy oem, and don't look back. the porting technology that goes into a stihl is worth more than the plant that makes those cheap ones and every kit theyve sold.

Uh... If thats true why does a Woods Port make such a huge difference? I'm not saying an OEM kit isn't the best, but its 3x more expensive than the Baileys kit. At that price, I could buy 3 of them before the Stihl part is worth it. I don't mind if it busts in the woods, I have a number of backup saws with me all the time. I'd probably port it and bump the compression on it anyways.

I just re ring a OEM jug and piston, ported and no gasket. After one tank, the compression was at 175psi.

I've used the bailey's pistons before and it was sort of hit and miss on the fitment. I had one fit real good with the compression at 175psi and other down in the 155's.

I never really seriously considered just throwing fresh rings on it... But, I guess its worth a shot. If its holding 145 now cold, the jug can't be scored, and the piston should be good. Maybe I'll give that a shot and see what the compression does. Its not like it takes much time to pull the jug.

Back