Stihl 044/440.....Best saw ever made???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the Stihl 044/440 the best saw ever made???

• Total voters
Figured that. Fancy in the part-time back yard don't make dollars in the full-time woods. :clap:

I can't say enough about a stock 440 with a muff mod and max-flow, it makes one hell of a saw that'll last forever. I've got a good work buddy who is on year 5 with his, running that set up and it still runs like new. He also files a brutally sharp chain, with also helps with the longevity issue in a big way - Sam

I realize I am a nobody here... But from what I know and what I have talked to of my friends who do logging, which are numerous... Huskies are fast, and the parts are in expensive, Stihls are slower, but will start easier and have a much longer expected life. Take it or leave it...:cheers: I buy Stihl because I like their rep, and my local dealer.

To make sure my post has something related to this thread...the 440/044... I know it has an excelent rep... If I was to buy one, I would probably go for the 460, with a wrap handel...

Not so (regarding the bolded quote), though I've used that same language here before. There are plenty of folks on here -- who have either not been members long or who have been longtime members but have few posts -- who are stone cold pros.

Number of posts, longevity of membership, rep novas, they only tell part of the story.

I'm just saying.

Oh, and to keep this on topic, from what I've heard the 044/440 ROCKS! It's one of the few Stihls I've never cut with, myself. Um, so far. :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange: :hmm3grin2orange:

Bart, nobody is a nobody here, ya hear? This is a good bunch of folks, egos notwithstanding. Try to make it to a GTG sometime, if you can. Glad you are here, man!

You know, the 044 really is a special saw. It seems to be just right. I have also heard about Huskys being faster and Stihls more durable. All I know is that if I am using the 044, I am enjoying myself. It always starts and runs great, and with only 125 PSI, it stihl cuts with plenty of power.

Here's a game! LOL!

Find the new 460!!!!!:cheers::cheers:
Or atleast the box she came in!!!!

attachment.php

I wish my dad had an 066 I could steal.

I DIDN'T STEAL IT!!!!
I just never gave it back!!! LOL!!!

It really wasn't worth it! LOL!
Every time a limb fell in the drive he was calling me!
I did break in the saw for him!!! LOL!!!
I prefer saws that have a couple scratches! I seems like you are just ruining them when you buy new! SAD I know........

So what do the 7 ported 394/395s do? :)

044 is not a bad saw, even if it is a Stihl.

LP, they get the sn-t run out of them most every day and will die an early death, the fellows using them do make money with them but they prefer the best bang for their buck, the Huskies are cheaper from the outset and if they can get a year out of them they are happy. If they last a year they will be just write off`s, totally fubared. It would be hard to compare any make of saws used in an enviroment like that.
Pioneerguy600

Nice! What's done to it?

I liked the 044 I had it was a little lighter than the 441, but that wasn't enough to make me pick it up over the 441. The 044 is a great saw and worthy of it's reputation.

Mine will..... :D

And this one did too. In your presence, none the less:hmm3grin2orange:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwv3ELdis8k&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gwv3ELdis8k&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Back