Stihl 044/440.....Best saw ever made???

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Is the Stihl 044/440 the best saw ever made???

• Total voters
i got em too. anyway, i will probably end up putting a bb on my 044. after actually doing timed cuts in 9x9 white pine ,green not dry, i found out my 460 mildly ported(he he ) work saw was almost 2 seconds faster than my mildy ported (he he) 044. the 044 is tuned at 14600 but i didnt check my 460 to see where its at. i am hoping to get the grunt that the 460 has, out of the hybrid. the last one i did ran good but it was not ported .just muff modded.

I love my 044 and its a good in between saw. not as much grunt as a 660, but then I've happily taken it up into the trees a few times as well, and its a bit curvier in the body so I limb with it too. If you're an out and out feller/bucker of big trees then 660 is where you're at. If you've got a 2 saw stable then it would be 660 and 360. If you've got only one saw to do everything, then its a close toss between 360 and 044 but my nod goes to the 044, especially if you're in the big end of the woods more often.

I did a year in new zealand, and over there everything is stihl. I dont know whether its just better market presence or what, but forresttry guys there wont touch husky. The feeling there is that stihl lasts and lasts, but husky is better in high altitude and extreme cold.

Shaun

It may have been in the late 1980s, but it surely wasn't at the time it became the MS440. The 371xp beat the 044 badly by 1996, with much better air filtation, AV and performance..

It may have been in the late 1980s, but it surely wasn't at the time it became the MS440. The 371xp beat the 044 badly by 1996, with much better air filtation, AV and performance..

Even after all these year I still get suckered in by niko and the 044 bashing/372 praising :laugh:

The 044's chain brake handle is way better than the 372. The angle, shape, size and location make the chain brake way more betterer than the 372. And let's not forget the self locking fasteners, rear handle, handle bar angle, length of trigger pull, much beefier crankshaft, and spark plug entrance angle.

It should be clear that the 044 is far superior...

I'm not a giver of 372 praise either. I've owned about ten.........and sold them all.

Sure they seem pretty fast.......but are you sure they don't just have an exhaust note that makes them seem fast?

Put a tach on a 372.......then on an 044. You'll see what I mean.

For daily work.......give me a 044........for cutting cookies......a 372.

Now........how's that for stirrin the pot? :laugh:

Even after all these year I still get suckered in by niko and the 044 bashing/372 praising :laugh:

The 044's chain brake handle is way better than the 372. The angle, shape, size and location make the chain brake way more betterer than the 372. And let's not forget the self locking fasteners, rear handle, handle bar angle, length of trigger pull, much beefier crankshaft, and spark plug entrance angle.

It should be clear that the 044 is far superior...

:laugh: That's your well known opinion, and that's fine with me.:chop:

I logged for years with the 044 and the 046,as in from a teenager doing summer work to when I owned my own logging company and could work in the woods with a crew. took me several tries to get used to a 372 too,but once I got used to the springs instead of the rubber mount of stihl I quickly realized that hey these orange saws leave me with less fatigue at the end of the day and have much better air filtration.also anyone that thinks a stihl doesn't vibrate bolts loose because of bolt design hasn't made a living with one. ive never seen a saw that doesnt require some daily upkeep especially when abused all day everyday. ive seen every flavor of saw come across my bench with missing bolts and screws. its a matter of preference and mostly you will see full grown men that drink the stihl or the Husqvarna cool aid and refuse to budge on whats "better" in there own mind. will I walk past a stihl ohh44 just to get to a 372 yes I will. will i walk past two ohhh44 to get to a Husqvarna 372 ,yep. will I walk past yet another ohhhh44 to get to my 372,no,no I wont. im too lazy these days and just want to get it over with anyway. ive had some really ,really, good running 10mm 044 saws but I don't for a second pretend they would out cut the really really good running 372's ive had.

To me it's half of one, six t'other. For every day, all day, I prefer the AV of the 372. For forestry work and occasional days falling trees, I am perfectly happy with my Bananafied 044.

Does this thing have finger ports, Randy? I haven't checked.

157794409.H8dKki02.jpg

I'm not a giver of 372 praise either. I've owned about ten.........and sold them all.

Sure they seem pretty fast.......but are you sure they don't just have an exhaust note that makes them seem fast?

Put a tach on a 372.......then on an 044. You'll see what I mean.

For daily work.......give me a 044........for cutting cookies......a 372.

Now........how's that for stirrin the pot? :laugh:
Now Randall, there you go again

To me it's half of one, six t'other. For every day, all day, I prefer the AV of the 372. For forestry work and occasional days falling trees, I am perfectly happy with my Bananafied 044.

Does this thing have finger ports, Randy? I haven't checked.

157794409.H8dKki02.jpg

Nope.......just bridge ported.

Latest posts

Back