Stihl 044 big bore and more advice

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well I am pretty sure its done :frown: or at least not great. Thoughts?
View attachment 220762

220762d1327943769-2012-01-29_16-00-25_421-jpg

It is thru the coating in a few spots/large pits and from what I can tell the coating is scored

i think you should take up brad on his offer ,he can fix that cyl ,the ports look a bit small

i think you should take up brad on his offer ,he can fix that cyl ,the ports look a bit small

Unless I read what he wrote wrong, I think he said if I was going to get rid of it, he would pay the shipping for me to send/give it to him.

was making a joke ,you were getting help from one of the better engine builders on this site,he can make those 044 come to live with his magic

was making a joke ,you were getting help from one of the better engine builders on this site,he can make those 044 come to live with his magic

Sorry I missed the joke part :msp_razz: :cheers:

I am very thankfull he was willing to help me out with my questions and giving me some advice, I just wish I could afford to have him work a saw over, maybe a little ways down the road I will be able to have him make a great saw for me.

Now I am back to my question on if this is worth using or not. Its about as clean as I can get it wil the acid. I found degreasing and heating it in a toaster oven did wonders for the acid reaction. Once clean it has some good sized pits and some scoring on the wall of the cylinder.

Well the replies are not very promising at this point.

SO back to the big bore ideas, because with the pits and scoring I am looking at replacement.

Should I go with?????
the 046 meteor kit? Bailey's - Meteor Piston & Cylinder Assembly for Stihl 046, MS 460 Chainsaws
or the 044 NWP big bore kit? Bailey's - NWP Big Bore Cylinder Assembly for Stihl 044, MS 440 Chainsaws

I know the 046 kit will require a little filing on the holes from what I can tell, but I am also thinking the meteor kit is higher quality???

THoughts?

Thanks for the help!

Well the replies are not very promising at this point.

SO back to the big bore ideas, because with the pits and scoring I am looking at replacement.

Should I go with?????
the 046 meteor kit? Bailey's - Meteor Piston & Cylinder Assembly for Stihl 046, MS 460 Chainsaws
or the 044 NWP big bore kit? Bailey's - NWP Big Bore Cylinder Assembly for Stihl 044, MS 440 Chainsaws

I know the 046 kit will require a little filing on the holes from what I can tell, but I am also thinking the meteor kit is higher quality???

THoughts?

Thanks for the help!

I notice this thread is a few years old, but I'm in the process of doing the same with my 044. Is it worth getting the 046 meteor kit or what's the best route for daily use?

I don't know about meteor kits but my 044 with a NWP 046 BB (muffler modded, 8 tooth sprocket and 24" bar) still works fine (since 2011). Note that it is not the saw I use daily: It is a personal saw and I have plenty of others for work. My modded saw is a "Fun saw". For daily work, I stick with OEM.

Latest posts

Back