stihl 044 died

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chainsawjunky

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was running my 044 yesterday and it faltered and died on me. I can start it and it will run for about 10-15 seconds but I can't rev it up and it will die. It died after about hour and a half to two hours of cutting. The impulse is still connected, the fuel line and filter were new last year when I rebuilt it but the impulse I just pulled off a parts saw. I don't think the carburetor is dirty because I've put about 2 tanks through it in the last 2 weeks. Anybody have an idea of whats wrong? I have a pretty big limb sitting in my front yard right now with no saw to cut it so I need to get it running as soon as i can. Thanks.

Evan

Try opening up the "L" jet some, and cranking up the "Idle" screw. See if this combo of adjustments will solve your problem? If not, then you may want to pull the carb out and clean it.

Does the saw have compression???? Did you fill it from a new or differant jug on the last fill up of the day? Straight gas?

same jug, i know its mixed, i dumped the gas out to check the fuel filter and i could tell it was mix. I only have two gas cans, a 5 gallon i use for the mower and a 1 gallon for the chainsaw. It has compression. Id rather not mess with the carb right now unless i have to since i dont have a tach.

Evan

Sounds like an air leak or trash in your carb. Did it run great before and just start this all of a sudden or did it gradually start acting up?

You might have a tear in the rubber boot between the carb and engine.

Sound like it could be electrical, start with the spark plug and see if you are getting good spark.

I took the muffler off and it turns out the exhaust side is scored. I have no idea how this happened since I had a shop tune it for me and ive been running 50:1 stihl fully synthetic. I've used seafoam on occasion but this tank had none in it. So I suppose I have to rebuild it now.

I hate those gremlins you can't figure out, nothing like an intermittent problem to make you pull you hair out! Good advice so far. When all else fails....buy a 361.

SSSSooorreeeeeeee! Go ahead, send me to hell, somebody was gonna say it anyway!

A shop tuned it for me but that was about year ago and it was probably off. Could a dirty air filter cause it? Once it stopped the first time I check the air filter and it was pretty dirty. I'll probably get a tach this time and tune it myself.

O and does anybody have recommendations for a good tach? Is the one Baileys sells good? SenDEC STS-5000 Shop Tachometer for $70? Thanks

Evan

A shop tuned it for me but that was about year ago and it was probably off. Could a dirty air filter cause it? Once it stopped the first time I check the air filter and it was pretty dirty. I'll probably get a tach this time and tune it myself.

Dirty air filters make the saw run richer, not leaner.

You don't need a tach to tune a 440 - just go for the "4-stroke" burble.. and if it's close to 1 turn out, forget it.

Why did it score the piston? No idea, but I'd be doing a full pressure and vac test to see if you have any air leaks. If you find nothing wrong, look carefully at the carb, fuel hose, and tank vent.

Dirty air filters make the saw run richer, not leaner.

You don't need a tach to tune a 440 - just go for the "4-stroke" burble.. and if it's close to 1 turn out, forget it.

Why did it score the piston? No idea, but I'd be doing a full pressure and vac test to see if you have any air leaks. If you find nothing wrong, look carefully at the carb, fuel hose, and tank vent.

Yep,,, Lake is right again!!!! pressure test and vacum test BEFORE you tear it down,,,,,,:givebeer:

My tank vent leaks gas? Is that bad? I know the answer is yes but I mean is it disaster to be running the saw with it? Could that be the problem? Thanks. Evan

Nope... Leaking is likely good in this case. Vac test from the fuel line where it attaches to the carb - it should not hold any vac..

Last edited:
It sounds like most of the damage might have been done while the impulse line was fubar'd.

Second checking is always prudent.

Fred

Latest posts

Back