Stihl 044, should I buy?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dallas

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I'm looking at an 044 w/20" bar that's a 1994 vintage. The serial number is 1128791 and in a small block is the number 1000. What does the number 1000 mean? and does this saw have the 10mm wrist pin? I suspect it does. He's asking $300 and is including the case says it runs great and is like new condition. Should I be concerned if it does have the 10mm pin? I'll pull the muff cover and inspect the piston and cylinder should it be worth pursuing. Please advise!!

Go for it. I bought a used 044 off ebay with 123 as the first three numbers of the serial. Don't worry about the 10mm pin, just get a replacement piston while they are plentiful and "cheap." My 044 is cosmetically thrashed but runs like a dream. I love the thing to no end.

IMG_0263.jpg

IMG_0272.jpg

I'm looking at an 044 w/20" bar that's a 1994 vintage. The serial number is 1128791 and in a small block is the number 1000. What does the number 1000 mean? and does this saw have the 10mm wrist pin? I suspect it does. He's asking $300 and is including the case says it runs great and is like new condition. Should I be concerned if it does have the 10mm pin? I'll pull the muff cover and inspect the piston and cylinder should it be worth pursuing. Please advise!!

Heck no we have one My Bro steve uses on his grapple truck,,, it's a 10 MM saw and it runs great,,,,, it has the old school Muffler,,, Huge opening Pre OSHA Noise reduction meddling and it is a real screamer especially with a 20" bar and RSC Chain :clap: :clap: :clap:

I would love to find another one!!!!!! if the piston checks out and its as clean as he says,,,,,, and you can put your hands on it and run it....

I'd be on it like white on Rice!!!!!! If you pass on it let me know!!!!!:cheers:

I have ran a 044 mag for the last 8 years at work (grounds keeper) and although I personally would prefer a 371 or 372 the 044 has held up great.
I know this saw was bought new in 1995 and has ran good.

Back