Stihl 044 small issues

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sre09

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Hello guys. A friend of mine just got a used 044. The main problem was the piston that had the rings seized because of the intake boot which had a crack on it. I replaced the piston, intake boot and fired right up. But it doesnt run quite right, i think it has an air leak somewhere. When i turn it on the flywheel side it stops imediately. Could be the seal problem?

Hmm, i replaced the flywheel side seal and now after it starts to warm up, at wot it doesnt 4 stroke anymore. It 4 stroke very good before warms up. I dont have a pressure/vacumm tester :(. Could be the carb the fault?

Try the brake cleaner method to see if you have a vacuum-leak. It's not super exact for small leaks, but I've found it good enough. Just start the saw and let it idle, spray break cleaner on one seal at a time. If it dies you've found your leak.

Could also be fuel line responsible, because inside the gas tank the line is very soft and stretchy, is should be like that?

Check the crank spacer on the PTO side too. I’ve had one crack and cause an intermittent leak when it warmed up and expanded.
I've checked the crank spacer and it is in good shape, it even has in the bottom the o ring. Tommorow i will replace the fuel line, fuel filter and impulse line and will see if the problem solves. I will come back with news.

Latest posts

Back