• If you have bought, sold or gained information from our Classifieds, please donate to Arborsist Site and give back.

You can become a Supporting Member which comes with a decal or just click here to donate.

Want to Sell Stihl 044 sold

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pwoller

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Very nice Stihl 044. Ported, timing advanced by a professional saw shop. I think they call it woods modded, for working saws. Currently tuned to run 100ll. In central Indiana but I can ship. $800

Attachments

• IMG_6509.jpeg
    IMG_6509.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6510.jpeg
    IMG_6510.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 1
  • IMG_6511.jpeg
    IMG_6511.jpeg
  • IMG_6512.jpeg
    IMG_6512.jpeg
Currently tuned to run 100ll.
What does this mean? The carb is adjusted to optimum settings for the saw while you use 100LL?

So if one were to use non aviation fuel, a simple H L, Idle adjustment should dial it back in based on the new fuel being used?
Any clips of the saw being started from cold, then warmed up, then cutting? Also clips of it starting after hot?, Any muffler work done after the porting? How many hours are on the build after the port job?

I already have a presumed stock 044 Slant fin that I got from another forum member that included a bar and chain for a good bit less than this one.
Of course, if this one has a little extra sumn that the extra $$$$ of custom work involved and produced added performance, has good compression, easy start every time, and runs reliably, I can see spending a bit more than my current saw ran me.

The carb is set to run on 100ll but can be retuned to whatever the buyer wants to run. The porting was done but the muffler is already opened enough as it is so no changes were made to it. They tuned it to 100ll after the mod work was done but it previously ran on regular gas. It’s had maybe 2 hours on it since the work was done. I don’t have any videos but could take some tomorrow.

amazes me that people jump on a mans for sale thread and ream him out for the price he is asking. it's his business what he is asking and if you don't like it why even comment? bet you're not even interested but grill him for an explanation.
flatsfisher, If you are referring to me, I did not ream him at all, but pointed out that his particular saw was more expensive than my other one. BUT my other one is also STOCK and as I said, with work done to pwoller's saw, ( porting) the bump in price was certainly a warranted premium in price.

amazes me that people jump on a mans for sale thread and ream him out for the price he is asking. it's his business what he is asking and if you don't like it why even comment? bet you're not even interested but grill him for an explanation.
He's not "ream[ing]" anyone.
He's asking about the work done on the saw & what it requires to run properly.
He ALSO qualifies his questions by saying that the extra work(above stock) done warrants the extra cost.

:rolleyes:

flatsfisher, If you are referring to me, I did not ream him at all, but pointed out that his particular saw was more expensive than my other one. BUT my other one is also STOCK and as I said, with work done to pwoller's saw, ( porting) the bump in price was certainly a warranted premium in price.
if you say so. your comment about the price seems unnecessary.

Did the shop D and D in Indiana work on the saw?
Good question.

And I am sorry to you the OP and flatsfisher, if my mentioning his asking price in the comments I made. Price is definitely a concern in today's world of tighter and tighter economies. It also has various sides or points of views and then outcomes for both sellers and buyers.

A seller hopes to get a fair price, as does a buyer. From a buyer's side, he looks at his wallet first, then weighs his needs in a saw. As for me, I look for a generally healthy one. This can be a stock saw or a Modded saw either one. But for me, a saw that is not all scored up, has all the features working etc, is worth a certain amount all depending on condition. That was my point.

Certainly a seller is also entitled to expect or hope for a sale at close to or possibly above his expenses into a saw, a car, boat, house etc.
I have no begrudging the OP or anyone in a case by case basis.

I am sure we all have been on both sides of the coin.
As a huge fan of 044's, I did ask pwoller if he has any clips of the saw? In my consideration of possibly purchasing it, I certainly would like more facts about his particular saw vs say one I could spend $200 on and fix it up myself, $400 and get a runner but not a beauty queen, or his $800 asking price and essentially be getting a Pageant winner that is also a screamer in the wood and would last me a lifetime.
It was definitely not my intention to berate the seller.

Good question.

Price is definitely a concern in today's world of tighter and tighter economies. It also has various sides or points of views and then outcomes for both sellers and buyers.

A seller hopes to get a fair price, as does a buyer. From a buyer's side, he looks at his wallet first

"Wrong"
"The cheap guy does that. The smart long term buyer wants quality everytime. I don't speak for the masses just the informed individual."

, then weighs his needs in a saw. As for me, I look for a generally healthy one. This can be a stock saw or a Modded saw either one. But for me, a saw that is not all scored up, has all the features working etc, is worth a certain amount all depending on condition. That was my point.

"Wow. Now I see why people eat with their eyes. So you take the shinny homeowner abused peice and quite often never serviced over the ugly Betty who might be completely rebuilt with top quality bits?"

Certainly a seller is also entitled to expect or hope for a sale at close to or possibly above his expenses into a saw, a car, boat, house etc.
I have no begrudging the OP or anyone in a case by case basis.

"The buyer can expect his asking price or the seller can move on. That's for real."

I am sure we all have been on both sides of the coin.
As a huge fan of 044's, I did ask pwoller if he has any clips of the saw? In my consideration of possibly purchasing it, I certainly would like more facts about his particular saw vs say one I could spend $200 on and fix it up myself, $400 and get a runner but not a beauty queen, or his $800 asking price and essentially be getting a Pageant winner that is also a screamer in the wood and would last me a lifetime.
It was definitely not my intention to berate the seller.
I butched this quote above

Your pageant winner is 1,200-1,500 now, keep up.
Lol $200 yeah good luck hunting 044/440s. We look at junk around here for double that and some suckers by it from the weekend warrior and people who trash everything they own. The best buys in my area come from tools on crews who generally update them to stay current and they ain't pretty! Homeowner saws here are either near new quality tools or usually junk. Junk like Earthquake tools or big box store garbage. Junk like it ain't got 200 in parts left on it and is a late 440 arctic like I looked at last week, firm on 400, 🤣

Your wrong about a lot of buyers me being both a seller and a buyer.
Most times I look for quality over price as a user. Now price becomes more of an issue when buying parts that won't live here. Worn some is fine on my stuff or flippers. I personally prefer quality new or NOS regardless of the seller. Stuff to flip is a different story. Will the user want cheap for cheap or quality, possibly used, over cheapest?

Yeah read that again.

Plenty of rebuilt shinny queens around here filled with garbage parts. How many you want?
Joe J has three fresh rebuilds he might have $75 in total in all three "branded top manufacturers" that are very shinny and just built with junk by a nobody who knows nothing about engines.

What you see here above isn't that.
I sell these usually looking beat to death but turn key with all OEM most times.

Back