Stihl 045 info

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TKeshishian

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I just acquired an 045 av stihl saw and know nothing about it. It's my first bigger sized saw. Is it auto or manual oiler? What should I do to it before using besides the skip tooth? Currently has a 28" bar on it. Any advice from pros would be awesome. Thanks.
It's not the super. It's the 75cc motor.

You can go full chisel chain with that saw. Using it will make you smile a lot. I have its little brother, an 041 and its cousin a 460. Both are work horses. Learn to keep your chain sharp and it will never disappoint. You might consider a shorter bar unless you are into big wood all the time. I run 20" bars on both my Stihl's.

It's an automatic oiler. Clean it if needed, other than that just run it. Why are you going with skip, what are you cutting?

Thanks for the info. And the reason for the skip tooth is I know it goes through wood better with less strain in the saw. I'm going to be taking down some 100 foot pines and a couple of bug black oaks. Am I incorrect about putting on a skip tooth?

A 20 inch bar on a 045 looks like a 16 inch bar, put a 25 inch stihl bar on it with full comp chain. If the saw has spark, the on off switch works, and the chain does not spin at idol you are way ahead of the game.

A 20 inch bar on a 045 looks like a 16 inch bar, put a 25 inch stihl bar on it with full comp chain. If the saw has spark, the on off switch works, and the chain does not spin at idol you are way ahead of the game.

It does spin at idle a little but nothing scary. I'm new to the stihl game. How do I adjust the idle and mixture?

Latest posts

Back