Stihl 045 SEM ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mike104

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I might be the only person looking for this in 2021. But I have a stihl 045, and it needs an ignition, the SEM type G/E, and I am unable to find any parts. So I was wondering if anyone had any solutions, I'd rather restore this old girl than send her to the scrapyard.

Thanks,
-Mike

So, low and behold my saw has the SEM type GE ignition. I've read the SEM GA ignition from a TS350 saw will work. Based on others comments the GE flywheel won't work with the GA ignition however. Seems converting to Bosch or the aftermarket module maybe the only option. In the off chance I can locate a SEM GA style flywheel and ignition module- will my current recoil work with a GA flywheel?
Thanks
That’s the worst of all four ignitions, no good replacements for the GE...

If you do go all SEM GA, you’ll just need the longer plastic starter pawl.

Search for my old post “starter experiment” and you can convert the 056 to two balanced dual pawls at the same time you swap the pawls, like the later 066.

Your rotor needs to be the latest dual pocket type, but I bet it is already. Post some pics of your current setup; inside starter, FW, ignition, etc.

There’s GA FWs, pawls, springs on Fleabay right now, but as always overpriced. However, you’ll never have to mess with ignition issues again, lol.

PS - I see that Saegenspezi have dropped their price on the Bosch CDI, so now that & a used Bosch CDI FW would be your cheapest option out.
I have some great news about the SEM GE flywheel when converting over to the Saegenspezi ignition-- you can still use the GE flywheel and fan by moving two of the four magnets that are inside the SEM flywheel. I found out by using a magnet polarity tester that the north/south magnets sit together and the ones on the opposite side are non-magnetic and only used for balance.

The magnets are held on by glue and screws, and can be removed by a propane torch. You may have to drill the brass screws out. Then it's just a matter of moving the north or south magnet so they sit 180 degrees apart and either keep using 4 magnets or 2 magnets. Timing to 26 degrees BTDC is a matter of testing using a timing light and 12v battery.
I need to make a correction to the post about moving the magnets on a SEM GE flywheel. You can only reposition the south magnet 180 degrees, if you move the north magnet the timing will be 180 degrees off
Great! I'm the one (nolids) who gave the instructions to replace the SEM GE module using the inexpensive NOVA module. When I did mine, I spent an extra $40 getting a Bosch flywheel so I would have north and south magnets 180 degrees apart on a flywheel that would reuse the aluminum fan for the SEM GE pull start. Then I started to look at the original SEM GE flywheel, bought a magnet polarity tester and found out the four magnets were one north, one south, and the opposite side were dead and just there to balance the flywheel. So to save yourself $40 bucks, heat the south magnet with a propane torch and see if you can loosen the south magnet and remove the brass screw that holds it in place along with the glue. If you hold the SEM GE flywheel so you are looking at the back side, the north magnet will be on the left and the south magnet next to it on the right (clockwise). You want to remove the south magnet to retain timing and put it in place of the dummy magnet 180 degrees away. You can do it this way and put the dummy magnet where you took the south magnet off and you will retain balance with 4 magnets. Or remove both dummy magnets and run only a north and south magnet (2 magnets, 180 degrees apart). Use Seal-All and a screw to glue the magnets back on.

Not sure if it helps (mainly cos I'm in New Zealand) but I have this...16158857091757047502879609303196.jpg
Type GA module (missing plug end of HT wire) with flywheel 1115 400 1208

I might be the only person looking for this in 2021. But I have a stihl 045, and it needs an ignition, the SEM type G/E, and I am unable to find any parts. So I was wondering if anyone had any solutions, I'd rather restore this old girl than send her to the scrapyard.

Thanks,
-Mike

One G/E module is listed for sale on flea-bay now, not mine & not a sponsor...

STIHL 1110 400 0800 Ignition Coil OEM OPEN BOX *FREE SHIPPING*

Greetings. I am also trying to work out a solution for a Stihl 045 electronic ignition module. I have the SEM G/E (failed). Could you (nolids/) please update me as to the final outcome of your changeover (keeping/modifying the original flywheel magnet arrangement and using the Sagenspezi ignition)? It sounds too easy, but if it works it works. I am interested if finding a replacement module (SEM G/E). But, switching systems (Bosch, G/A or points) is complicated by the need to switch the flywheel as well.

Latest posts

Back