Stihl 046 Made in Germany. Any Good?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Welcome to Arboristsite.

The 046, is a very good saw. the 046, I believe was introduced in the early 90's, and has a solid reputation, now known as the MS460. as for what they're worth, I dont know, but they sure do a great job cutting wood.

The 046 was introduced in 1996, and has been a reputable saw ever since. The saw underwent some modifications in 2000, consisting of a widened intake port, additional openings in the filter mounting base, and an increase to 6.0 hp. In 2002, with the advent of the MS460 came an improved conrod big bearing end, which allowed for better lubrication. And like oldsaw mentioned, the 046 became the MS460. As far as what they're worth, that's a toughie. There's new in box 460 Mags on ebay going for $625+, and older 046's going for $300. A full wrap handlbar will usually fetch a bit more, as will a new bar and chain. These are pro saws, and if you can find one that was owned by a homeowner, and used as such, you'd have a saw with more time left on it than one used hard by a pro every day in tough conditions. Parts are however readily available for these saws, so rebuilding one is also an option if you're comfortable with a wrench. What would you use the saw for? They're a big, pro saw, and if firewood is your only concern you could do just as well with less weight, and less $$ if you looked at an 036/360 for example. That said, many of us do use them for firewood, though I enjoy using my 361 more, and it's easier on my back! Just a thought.

And welcome to the forum. I think you'll find a wealth of knowledge and info here.

Take care all,
Jeff

I believe all 044-046-066-088 were manufactured in Germany and now al their replacements MS440-MS460-MS660-MS880 are all still manufactured in Germany.

You can't go wrong with a German manufactured product for highest quality.

Lobo said:
You can't go wrong with a German manufactured product for highest quality.

Ok, explain this.

hippyvw.jpg

Thanks for all the input. As for rebuilding a saw or just tuning one up, I don't think that would be a problem for me. I'm Auto Mechanic for a living and hotrod everything I own. Just ask the wife what I did to the lawnmower!!! As for the purpose of the saw, it would be used to cut firewood. I have a Stihl 025 and a McCulloch MAC 3216 now. These just ain't getting the job done anymore. They are good for the small stuff, but when the wood gets big I need more power and a bigger bar.

If anyone has any leads on an 046/MS460 forsale PLEASE let me know. I just got beat on Ebay for one by $5 :angry:

Thanks
David

ButcherGY54 said:
I'm Auto Mechanic for a living and hotrod everything I own. Just ask the wife
David

Just don't HOT ROD the wife ;) :laugh:

ButcherGY54 said:
If anyone has any leads on an 046/MS460 forsale PLEASE let me know. I just got beat on Ebay for one by $5 :angry:

Thanks
David

Don't give up on ebay. I've lost several auctions where I ended up later buying the same, or better product for alot less money. If you watch ebay long enough, you'll see the same sellers over and over again, and you'll come to know what to expect from them. These are the guys I'd buy from. PM me, and I can give you a list of the guys I'd recommend. You won't be sorry for waiting, taking your time, and buying a good saw from a good seller. But be careful of buying fixer-uppers, as they often turn out to be more of a project than the seller advertised, either intentionall or unintentionally. Been there, done that!!

Take care all,
Jeff

Welcome Butcher...I see your out in my neck of the woods. Wait till you start thinking about hotsaws...now there's a hot rod for ya!

Contact JacobJ here on the site. I am sure he can help you out with a great saw a fair price. I have bought a few saws from him and they are all better than I thought they would be.

Butch welcome... like fish I also have both an MS460 mag and an MS361, and I concur, the 361 is a great firewood saw. The MS460 is a bit heavy to lug around all day cutting smaller stuff, when something like a 361 or Husky 365/372 will do the trick. Powerful... with a 32" bar, the 460 bit into a 26"dia ash tree almost too easy. Was felling, back cut, and had to back off and take it easy as it was going through it so fast and didn't want to accidentally go through my hinge. Great saw.

woodshop said:
...............and I concur, the 361 is a great firewood saw. The MS460 is a bit heavy to lug around all day cutting smaller stuff, when something like a 361 or Husky 365/372 will do the trick..........

After reading this forum for about a year, I really wanted a 372xp or Jred 2171, even though I knew that I didn't really need it. The Dolmars were deleted from my list at an early stage because of lack of dealer support.
Eventually I came to my sences, and settled for a MS361 - as it has more than enough power for the trees on our woodlot, and weights about 1 3/4 lbs less. :) In this case it does matter, as there is a lot of rough terrain and few roads.

Into the bargain, I still have an excuse to get a bigger "stumping saw" later (don't tell my wife). :blob2: :blob2:

for everyones info the 46m is the best saw on the market,buy a long shot

fishhuntcutwood said:
Mine says "Stihl USA." I guess Europe and folks in your part of the world get their's from Germany, while mine comes from Virginia. :confused:

Take care all,
Jeff
Some time ago it was concluded in another tread ("USA made") that the 361 are made (or at least assambled) at two factory sites, in Germany and at Virginia beach, USA.

According to the IPL, the saws for USA, CDN, AUS and NZ has some part numbers different from the rest (cylinder, piston, muffler), so I tend to believe that the saws for these markets are made/assambled in the USA, and saws for other markets in Germany.

I believe that the saws especially for the North American market have more restrictive emission controls than Europe and other continents, therefore some components could be different because of this.

Unfortunately the little Outdoor Power Equipment engines have been hit hard by agencies such as the EPA, but are far less polutant than our V6 & V8 engines, diesel engines used in the transportation and construction industry or all the old improperly maintained vehicle engines that are running around everywhere unchecked and heavily polluting us all.

Back