Stihl 046 Magnum runs out of fuel once warmed up

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pressure in the tank is normal. What you don't want is a vacuum.

No, DO NOT USE COMPRESSED AIR TO CLEAN THE PASSAGES. Carb cleaner, but even then you need to be careful about using a straw to force it hard into a passage.

Have you replaced the fuel line yet? The impulse line is also a good thought but I'm not sure that would have anything to do with it when it's gets to half tank

Did you replace the fuel line? I have seen when they deteriorate they can collapse, then spring back to shape.

Also, would rebuild & clean or replace the carb.

If that does not do it I would check the impulse line (yea, I know it is a pain to do that).

You definitely have an air leak. If there was pressure on your fuel line when you pulled it off the carb, then it is fine. Cracks in the line would have bled off that pressure and leaked fuel. As others have stated, the first suspect is the impulse hose. Second is torn intake boot. Easy check for that is, start the saw up and let it idle. Spray carb cleaner between the tank housing and crankcase where the boot and impulse line are. Sometimes it's easier to do with the filter removed and the cover out of the way. If there is a change in the idle, you found the problem. It will either drop a few RPMs or die altogether. If it is unaffected, your problem is elsewhere. Next place to look is behind the clutch at the crank seal. A bad bearing and seal will be affected by sudden movement of the saw due to the gyroscopic forces of the spinning crankshaft, but there is usually a bearing "roar" associated with this failure.

A cracked impulse line will still get an impulse to the carb, albeit a weak one. The lower the fuel level gets in the tank the harder it is to pump. Also, the vacuum of the intake is sometimes sufficient to pull fuel with a full tank. Once the level drops, the lack of pumping force becomes more apparent.

A cracked impulse line will still get an impulse to the carb, albeit a weak one. The lower the fuel level gets in the tank the harder it is to pump. Also, the vacuum of the intake is sometimes sufficient to pull fuel with a full tank. Once the level drops, the lack of pumping force becomes more apparent.

I took the engine shroud off and and sprayed starting fluid (i had no carb cleaner) all around the intake boot and impulse line, flexed the saw in the mounts and even put my finger on the impulse and intake and flexed them around and it never grabbed/dropped RPM. They both look like new, no weather checking, cracking, or rub marks. I did however discover this burnt looking spot on the protective cover over the spark plug wire. It is right where the wire rides between the engine shroud and the anti-vibe mount on that side. No exposed metal for it to be grounding to there, and the cover is not worn through at all, but I find it awful suspicious. Could this be causing my problem?

Attachments

• 1001141917.jpg
    1001141917.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 26
Nothing to worry about. Fairly common to see at least a little browning of the sleeve there. If your issue is tied to heat, I would be looking at the clutch side oil seal and bearing. Also, what kind of shape is the chrome cylinder liner in? I have seen 044/046 saws that have the chrome nearly worn through from tons and tons of use. They'll start right up cold, but lose compression fast as they warm up. Some food for thought here...

Ignition problems: For the most part, it works or it doesn't (unless you have an old saw with points, then all bets are off. Not the case here). If an ignition problem is heat related, most of the time it will get hot and stop working. I have seen spark plugs get cracked and work ok when cold, but "short" when hot.

Air leaks caused by rubber parts: Will be evident immediately. Hot or cold, but will get worse as heat is applied and rubber softens.

Heat related issues: If it takes 10 minutes or so for the problem to manifest itself, likely there is a metal expansion problem. Look at piston/cylinder, or bearings. A bad clutch side bearing can make a saw do some really strange things. The heat from the failing bearing burns or softens the rubber in the crank seal and causes an air leak. Not an easy one to detect because of the oil pump and drive gear kind of help seal things up a bit. Especially when chock full of bar oil and sawdust. Once that cold thick bar oil that is always around that worm gear heats up and thins out, it's easier to pull air through the tiny gap between the worm and the pump housing.

If you can, acquire some block off plates and pressure/vacuum test that crankcase. If the plates aren't available, purchase or make some rubber pieces to install under the carb and muffler, and use a leakdown tester to apply slight air pressure to the crankcase. You'll probably hear the leak.

I hope I'm helping to steer you in the right direction.

I hope I'm helping to steer you in the right direction.

Yes, your definitely helping. The cylinder/piston look awesome, no scuffing or wear of any kind in the chrome plating or piston skirts. I can see how maybe that clutch side bearing could be the problem. The saw sat around alot obviously before I got it, maybe it got left sitting with a chain way to tight for way to long and ruined it, who knows. The saw just flat didn't get used enough to have a worn out/failed part as far as I can see. Only possibility besides the clutch side bearing would just about have to be a factory defect, or a seal flat dried out from sitting around so much.

I originally bought the saw to send straight in for a port job, then I decided to run it a few times so I could appreciate the power gains of the port work. When I found this problem I just figured it was something simple to figure out, I love tinkering on stuff anyhow. It's been really fun to diagnose this problem, learned alot about saws I didn't know, my 066 has been literally gas and go it's whole life so this is all new territory for me. Guess if it's to the point of needing a leakdown test, I'll let the shop do that and the port work once the problem is cured.

Gonna give her one last chance this weekend since I cleaned the carb and put a new plug in it. That and eliminated all the other possibilites talked about previously.

Thanks for all the help

The saw sat around alot obviously before I got it... or a seal flat dried out from sitting around so much.

Sitting is much worse for these things than running them. If it sat for a long time, a dried out seal is very possible. Might be as simple as that.

I agree with Mike. You are going to love that saw once it's running right. The 046 in my opinion is one of the absolute best saws made. By anyone. I have worked on a PILE of them over the years, even modified a few. I know it is one of my favorites, even though I've never owned one (got 064's because I scored a good deal). If I could pick only one larger saw to use, it would be a tossup between the 046/MS460 and the Husqvarna 288XP Lite.

Edit, originally thought this was a fuel level problem, seems to be related to getting proper fueling once the saw is warmed up. See more detailed post below.

Saw runs great for the first 10 minutes or so, then starts starving for fuel/dying. Problem worsens when you tilt the saw around such as limbing, finishing cuts with the tip down etc. Did a full carb adjustment with the H, L, and LA screws and a Tachometer and still no better.
Sounds like a vacuum like in your fuel tank. This happens if the vent line gets clogged. Some vent lines have a filter on the intake end an if gas finds its way to it it seems to swell and won't pass air to the fuel tank.

The problem with my 044 turned out to be the coil. It would start, but would not run. I thought it was fuel, but noticed every time I pulled the plug, it was wet.

Put a new plug in if you have not already, and when it quits, pull the plug and see if it is wet. If so, I would suspect the coil.

Keep us posted when U resolve the problem.

Back