stihl 048

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tonkapup

Reaction score
G'day Gents,

I'm and aussie that has run out of avenues to track what I'm looking for down here. I have an 048 that has very little hours on it but I can't use it as I need a replacement sprocket/chain cover as someone busted it years ago. Since then the saw has just gathered dust in the back of a shed, until I was the sucker who picked it up and have led a merry bloody goose chase to track a cover down. Does anyone know of a good contact that may be able to help me?

G'day Gents,

I'm and aussie that has run out of avenues to track what I'm looking for down here. I have an 048 that has very little hours on it but I can't use it as I need a replacement sprocket/chain cover as someone busted it years ago. Since then the saw has just gathered dust in the back of a shed, until I was the sucker who picked it up and have led a merry bloody goose chase to track a cover down. Does anyone know of a good contact that may be able to help me?

I have never seen an 048 in person. But many parts will swap from saw -saw , sprocket covers being one of them. Have you compared it to other models?

Just my $0.02 cents worth.

i have a low hour 048 also, from what ive been told and found when sourcing odds and ends is that these are rare saws, read short production run. you should also make sure the 4 case screws are converted to the torx type(from slot heads). as for model parts cross overs, the 042 is very similar and i think(but stand to be corrected) its the only saw thats essentially the same, as to what can be basterdized to fit i dont know.

if you want the ipl and users manual send me an email addy in a pm.

Last edited:
Conjure up Lakeside Andy

If anybody knows where one is it'll be him. He should change his name to YODA ANDY.

POOF - how can I help?:greenchainsaw:

Oh.. clutch side cover.... Cheapstihlsawsparts has some. Email him though ebay.

Last edited:
Thanks Boys,

I'll have a crack at those leads. And yes DJ I think the 042 is the only other model that may have some of the parts utilised by the 048.

Thanks again gents I'll let u know how I go!!

hoo roo

3rd sproked on 048

Hi Tonkapup
048 it is my first saw i bought. Cylinder and pistons are avaible by stihl. They can give you the IPL. when this b.....s don't do send me a mail.
Cheers Vincent

Just looked at mine in the shop, I believe the clutch covers to be unique to the 042/048s. Not like anything else in my clan.......

If I had a spare I'd offer a trade or something, but alas I only one for each saw. Good luck with your parts search. Let us know how you like that beast after you get it going. I'll be working on my 048 Super project tonight as most of my parts came in.:clap:

I probabl have the cover here buried somewhere. It will take some digging. I wish I would have bought all those 042 saws years ago.

Bill

Hi Tonkapup
048 it is my first saw i bought. Cylinder and pistons are avaible by stihl. They can give you the IPL. when this b.....s don't do send me a mail.
Cheers Vincent
hi are the cylinder and pistons still available from stihl thanks

o48

I have a low hr. 048 also. ther are parts on ebay and I have seen sprocket covers. They show up now and then.

Back