Stihl 051

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andrethegiant70

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Hi, Peeps!

I have a friend who has an 051 for sale. I have seen it and it is a nice-looking saw. It has a 20-inch bar equipped with a .404 setup, all in good shape. It has great compression and runs well. It does however, have an issue with bar oil getting into the combustin chamber, so it has a gasket problem of some sort... either an oiler gasket problem or case gasket problem (I suspect the former). He is moving wants to sell it. I have 4 saws in that size class, so I really don't need it, but I offered him $100 as is. Needless to say, he was hoping for more.

He asked me if I could post on here and see what folks thought the saw was worth both in repaired and unrepaired condition. Can you give me your opinions? It would be very helpful.

Unless you really want it I wouldnt give him much more than what you offered.

Sounds like the seal or O-ring on the oiler is leaking. That will let bar oil into the engine. Similiar problem on the 041. That's a quick, easy, and cheap fix. If that's all it is, the saw is worth probably $200 on eBay.

Last edited:
Definitely the oring in the pump about a twenty minute repair. I just fixed the same problem on an early 51. It's worth at least $200 if it's in good shape and that's a deal. Good one's are hard to come by.:chainsaw:

Definitely the oring in the pump about a twenty minute repair. I just fixed the same problem on an early 51. It's worth at least $200 if it's in good shape and that's a deal. Good one's are hard to come by.:chainsaw:

oring, or rubber ring? the rubber sring is in 2 styles based on serial number, both available in canada, the orings can be found at any good supply shop...

ive circulated the service manual to most here on as, if you want a copy...

Good stuff, Gents. Ross, I don't have any idea what his bottom would be. My guess is he doesn't know himself yet, he really trying to educate himself. I know that one of the things he is doing is evaluating whether he should make the fix himself. He is actually a small engine mechanic with lots of experience with Stihls .. however, he doesn't really "follow" the older saws like some of us at AS do, so he has no idea of the street value.

Like I said, I offered him $100 as is, but I don't really need the saw (I actually have an 051 parts saw that I'm considering doing the 076 conversion on, I was just trying to do him a favor and not cheese off the wife. I have seen runners go for $150 on Fleabay, but it's really been a while since I followed the 051s.

He is a member on here, and he has been on infrequently, but he lives and breathes small engines during the day and is young enough that it is worth his time to mess with girls.....so.... you know.. he does other stuff.

Back