Stihl 056 magnum magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I run one with minor mods just pulled the base gasket and fitted a factory dual port exhaust now it easily runs with a stock 066

No the muffler is standard inside isn't very restrictive I have one with the cylinder off I was thinking about porting like most of the stihls there is plenty of room for porting how ever as much fun as they are to run the later models eg066 are lighter the av works better and they have more parts availability

No the muffler is standard inside isn't very restrictive I have one with the cylinder off I was thinking about porting like most of the stihls there is plenty of room for porting how ever as much fun as they are to run the later models eg066 are lighter the av works better and they have more parts availability

Would you do the port job yourself ? or do you know someone here that can do it ?

I have a pile of 045/056 parts that I can assemble a couple saws from, assuming any of the ignitions are ok.

Would like to do some porting on 'em but I'm curious how others have dealt with these angled 'spigot' type mufflers
as to increasing the width to match a wider exhaust port.
Obviously can be done but not without major time consuming reconstructive surgery between the can and cylinder.

Since these tend to be more 'torquers' than 'revers' maybe it's not so critical?

Same type of issue on the 030/031/032 family also.

This thread reminds me I need to dig into my 045AV Super Electronic to see what let go - been sitting at least 3 years now. Is all stock, and was a strong runner.

Would you do the port job yourself ? or do you know someone here that can do it ?

Yes I do my own port work how ever being a mechanic I have a fairly good understanding of what to do. It very much depends on what you want to do with the saw if you just want a better than average saw remove the cylinder take out the base gasket and replace it with some silicone. A new piston and rings often helps especially with an older saw the skirts on the piston wear and it can affect the base compression they are available on evil bay for not to much. If your muffler only have the rear port you can take the front cover off and make a new port in the front but like previously said these are more torque saws not racers but in hard wood very good

Have a go yourself it's much more rewarding you can do basic widening on the lower transfers with a die grinder and carbide bit then match the muffler to the exhaust port and remove the knob in the intake port just make sure you bevel the edges

Have a go yourself it's much more rewarding you can do basic widening on the lower transfers with a die grinder and carbide bit then match the muffler to the exhaust port and remove the knob in the intake port just make sure you bevel the edges

[SIZE=4[SIZE=6]Never remove the knob in the intake![/SIZE][/SIZE]

I had Treemonkey port my 056 magnum and it is a torque monster. Definitely doesn't have the speed of a newer big saw but it pulls a 32" bar burried in hard wood REALLY strong. Very fun to run. I let my wife run it and she started the cut with out having the dogs up against the wood, thought it was gonna pull her over. Very impressive saw. I'm not sure on all what he did for porting, I believe the muffler is unmolested except for and additional port out the front. I will post some pics when I get home on computer, not on my phone.

I had Treemonkey port my 056 magnum and it is a torque monster. Definitely doesn't have the speed of a newer big saw but it pulls a 32" bar buried in hard wood REALLY strong. Very fun to run. I let my wife run it and she started the cut with out having the dogs up against the wood, thought it was gonna pull her over. Very impressive saw. I'm not sure on all what he did for porting, I believe the muffler is unmolested except for and additional port out the front. I will post some pics when I get home on computer, not on my phone.[/QUOTE
Curiosity makes me ask With all the torque a Mag 56 has would it be logical to use a "9" tooth rim in place of an "8" tooth ? Seems this would be an expensive way when comparing rim prices but relatively economical in comparison to whittling into a NLA cylinder etc.. Magnum VS Magnum II saws went from 7 to 8 tooth in order to get chain speed up to make use of the torque. (So I believe -- but am very open to comment) I realize the Mag II is able to pull a long bar so then a 7 tooth would be appropriate for a 48" plus bar but a 9 tooth would Wake up a 20" bar and chain. Someday I will probably try this on one of my Nag II saws.
Has anyone had any "ADVERSE" issues with removing the cylinder Gasket??
I have seen the stainless exhaust screen with a larger weave to reduce the restriction.

There was a 056 cylinder on ebay a while back that looked a lot like this:
IMG_1174_zpscad5a223.jpg

That'll take you a few minutes!

Dennis Cahoon sent this one to Mastermind for him to mull over.

There was a 056 cylinder on ebay a while back that looked a lot like this:
View attachment 491958

That'll take you a few minutes!

Dennis Cahoon sent this one to Mastermind for him to mull over.
I will reply then analyze next. Keep me in the loop if something develops ....
No I am not savvy enough to comprehend but my curiosity is "AROUSED"

Back