Stihl 056av

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lblac36315

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
New Project!! 056AV , I got this past friday at pawn shop for $185. Is this a good saw? I've searched all past threads & read, not alot of info out there for this one. Any opinions or recommendations regarding this model? Its in great shape, doesn't appear to have been used much. Starts easily and sounds strong. I will getting to muffler and looking at piston this afternoon. Odd made muffler with exhaust pipe routed back thru case exiting out over bar cover, can this one be opened up? It came with new 25" Rollimatic E bar, RS chain & rim sprocket set-up. Any info appreciated. Thanks, Lee

I used to have an 056Super AV. the muffler was mounted on the front and exausted forward. It was a powerful saw but heavy-not a real screamer by today's standards.-I figured that my Husky 268XP cut just about as fast as the 056 even though it has about 25% less displacement. I'm told that the O56 is very "hotable" however.

056 was quite a saw in it's time i think, a real workhorse; all day long. Not sure, but want to say these were some of the handbuilt models?

But, by today's standards of what is offered, would feel lead heavy; especially for the power as Stumper says. Seems, like used parts would be pretty scarce by now.

Lee
I should have all of the parts you will ever need for your 056.If I dont have it in NOS,I will have it in used.
Later
Dan

Correct me if I am wrong (which I probably am) but wasn't the 056 still being produced up to about 1989-90. I would think common parts are still availble from Stihl. There is a guy in my area that spent $450 in repairs at one of the local dealers a couple years ago. He claims he never used the saw after the repairs. He wants to sell it for $450 now.

On a side note I realize the 56 is heavy but there is also a guy locally who has a 090 and a 056. He told me he wants to sell the 090 and keep the 056 to cut firewood with. I guess weight is relative to your experience.

Bill

Back