Stihl 064 clutch side crank bearing problems bearing holder detached ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

simonUK

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Afternoon all
I have just bought a Stihl 064 with a scored piston. The cylinder was fine but the piston was scored.
After tearing into the saw I thing I have found the cause of the problem.
It seems that on the clutch side bearings there was excessive play.
So I split the cases and sure enough with the bearing removed the holder/case has detached itself
Has this ever happened to anybody else or is it just me
Anyway if anybody can help that would be great
189117d1309532185-dscf0600-jpg

Last edited:
I guess I don't understand what you mean by "bearing holder" and I don't have a case handy to compare yours to ?

Some of the Stihls had a snap ring to spot the bearing, but not the 064/066. It's been a while since I had one apart so I don't recall if there was a shoulder in the case ?

It is definately factory but is like a race that the bearing goes into I assume that it has spun the insert. If it had not turned you would not know

Bearing

Afternoon all
I have just bought a Stihl 064 with a scored piston. The cylinder was fine but the piston was scored.
After tearing into the saw I thing I have found the cause of the problem.
It seems that on the clutch side bearings there was excessive play.
So I split the cases and sure enough with the bearing removed the holder/case has detached itself
Has this ever happened to anybody else or is it just me
Anyway if anybody can help that would be great
189117d1309532185-dscf0600-jpg

I have a buddy that has a Stihl shop and been doing stihl sales and repairs for abuot 30 years. I will ask him for you and get back with you!

Henry

What may appear to be an insert is part of the bearing and what holds the oil seal. I will try to find a picture. Did you pressure/vac test before you tore the saw down?

Thanks that would be great

He is at lunch I sent him an E-mail. He will help me. He knows Stihl front and backwards. He worked at the stihl plant and then open his own business. Smart man. Crappy disposition, but helpful and smart.

Have a safe weekend all! Happy 4th of July!

Henry

Not from a 064 (actually from an MS240) but same general idea.

attachment.php

Or are you saying the bearing has wallowed out the case?

Yeah the dealer by me said alot of these when they have bearing play its actually the case/insert moving and not the bearing.

Simon

Thanks that would be great

Hi Simon, I talked to my buddy and he said they have found out to many people over tighten the Chain and it pulls hard on that bearing hence causing premature failure.

He also said he found no factory recall addressing bearing failure due to manufacturing and or design.

Again over tighten the Chain pulls excessively on the bearing and causes the bearing to wear out faster.

Henry

Back