Stihl 064 vs Magnum 440

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tyler Jacobs

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I have a chance to trade my magnum 440 for an older 064. They both have a 24" bar. I am planning to run them mostly on a 24" Alaska MKIII mill I just got. Most of the wood I'll be dealing with is downed lumber that is either white oak or walnut. I know the 064 is bigger which apparently is always better for milling and other things, but I have a lot of confidence in the 440 being a well maintained and strong running saw. Thoughts?

Everything else being equal, the 064 would certainly be nice for milling. However, everything else isn't equal. 440 is a great saw, and knowing the saw's history and maintenance counts for a lot. Also, it's much easier to get parts for the 440 than 064. On a 24" mill, you're not going to be cutting over 20" anyways, and the 440 will do fine with that.

Personally, I would hang on to the 440 and save for a second, larger saw sometime in the future.

Thanks for the comment. Good to know you think the 440 can handle the size I'm planning to mill in the near term. I agree if I end up getting hooked I can upgrade later.

I wouldn't use an 064 milling, their smaller cranks were a weak point design wise that was later fixed when the round top 066s and later versions came out. Sell the 440 and buy a 660.

Latest posts

Back