Stihl 088 Magnum vs Stihl MS881

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AlotL1keVegas

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello all. So I currently own a Stihl 088 Magnum. It's a super clean, good runner. So I haven't used this saw yet. I originally bought it because it was a good deal, and my intentions were to use it on a mill.
Well I recently came across a good deal on a clean MS881, and I don't really want to pass it up. I would be more or less be using it for the same reason, or to cut down the real big trees. So now I'm wondering....I know it's a newer saw and all, but is it worth it to essentially "upgrade"? What are the Pros & Cons of the 088 vs the MS881? Does the MS881 have a carburetor? Is it m tronic? I know I can answer those last 2 questions with Google, but I'm here looking for your guys opinions on these saws, and figured I'd ask here. Thanks for any input. 😊

Attachments

• 00e0e_95N357oq59oz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    00e0e_95N357oq59oz_0CI0t2_1200x900.jpg
    256.5 KB · Views: 0
Worth the upgrade depends on the cost, right? Since you never actually use the 088, and assuming you'll never use the 881 either, the upgrade would have to be real real cheap.

Worth the upgrade depends on the cost, right? Since you never actually use the 088, and assuming you'll never use the 881 either, the upgrade would have to be real real cheap.
To be fair, I have had the saw less then a year. I haven't used it yet, because I don't have a mill yet lol. And the MS881 is a really good deal. Plus it has a full wrap on it.

To be fair, I have had the saw less then a year. I haven't used it yet, because I don't have a mill yet lol. And the MS881 is a really good deal. Plus it has a full wrap on it.

I once owned an 880, and it is a PITA cause it is so heavy. IMO, it is a specialty saw for serious professionals cutting BIG timber who are young and very strong. Took me a year or more to sell it, and was happy it was gone.

I might possibly be selling the 088. If anyone on the east coast is interested. I'm going to be coming through Pennsylvania area in the next couple of days. If anyone is interested I can bring the saw with me, and we could meet up. Just throwing that out there.

Hello all. So I currently own a Stihl 088 Magnum. It's a super clean, good runner. So I haven't used this saw yet. I originally bought it because it was a good deal, and my intentions were to use it on a mill.
Well I recently came across a good deal on a clean MS881, and I don't really want to pass it up. I would be more or less be using it for the same reason, or to cut down the real big trees. So now I'm wondering....I know it's a newer saw and all, but is it worth it to essentially "upgrade"? What are the Pros & Cons of the 088 vs the MS881? Does the MS881 have a carburetor? Is it m tronic? I know I can answer those last 2 questions with Google, but I'm here looking for your guys opinions on these saws, and figured I'd ask here. Thanks for any input. 😊
The 088 is a fully adjustable saw with an unlimited coil, it has an excellent oiler . The 088 is far superior for milling then its predecessors.

Just like cars, you lose money buying and selling them. For the amount anyone uses a 120cc saw, just save your cash.

When you start using a 120 cc saw, you'll realize these are not an 'everyday allday' saws. Any minor ergonomic, or weight advances are pretty meaningless for milling or blocking up trunks on the ground. For milling the saw is protected by the frame to the extent I rarely even use the brake. If you want a saw for felling, save your cash and get something in the 80-90 cc range.

Personally I really like the 088, especially for milling, low torque, normal fuel caps, adjustable carb (for milling you want to set the H pretty conservatively), indestructible design etc.

well I've been using a chainsaw since I was 13. Dad being 6 ft 3 270 pounds could handle just about any saw made. Me being 6 ft 5 320 pounds I just use dads old saws I inherited like the 090 at 137 cc, the 076, 084, 056 magnum, the 032. yes their heavy compared to later models but they are reliable and it's nice to know you can cut anything with the 090

Yeah it's an 088. early ms880 had cast muffler and flippy caps.
Yes, I forgot the early 880s had the cast muffler. I have never owned one . A couple of old timers told me years ago that the 84 & 88 were a better saw, so I stuck with them. The 88s sound different /good

Latest posts

Back