056 Magnum 2

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

molnar18

Reaction score
I came across a 056 magnum 2 the guy said it ran then just got real doggy so he went and got a new saw, I have heard it’s a rare saw, power head only for $100 so I’m guessing that’s a really good deal

Rare- well maybe in good running condition.
the guy said it ran then just got real doggy- well that could be simple, or it could be early warning of something hard to replace- like ignition units.
Big old beast of a saw- can torque beat the backside off 1122 saws and make the 661 look kind of timid.
There are some things getting hard to find to keep them running- but if running well they can easily run a 36 inch bar and be happy whilst doing it.

Rare- well maybe in good running condition.
the guy said it ran then just got real doggy- well that could be simple, or it could be early warning of something hard to replace- like ignition units.
Big old beast of a saw- can torque beat the backside off 1122 saws and make the 661 look kind of timid.
There are some things getting hard to find to keep them running- but if running well they can easily run a 36 inch bar and be happy whilst doing it.
Running a 056 mag 2 next to a ms661 probably make the ms661 guys wet their pants with fear 😆

Unless you're really lucky, you'll have to devote a good chunk of your life to tracking down parts and learning all the quirks of that model. I've spent impossible amounts of time successfully rebuilding my 045/056 Supers. The Supers and the Magnums are amazing saws when they're working, but the ignitions are a whole thing of their own you'll have to learn about unlike the ignitions in any other saw. It's not the kind of saw you want to just own one of. Once you learn everything you need to know to keep it running well, you might as well rebuild/fix a couple of them.

Unless you're really lucky, you'll have to devote a good chunk of your life to tracking down parts and learning all the quirks of that model. I've spent impossible amounts of time successfully rebuilding my 045/056 Supers. The Supers and the Magnums are amazing saws when they're working, but the ignitions are a whole thing of their own you'll have to learn about unlike the ignitions in any other saw. It's not the kind of saw you want to just own one of. Once you learn everything you need to know to keep it running well, you might as well rebuild/fix a couple of them.
Lol! I love the fact that you said not the kind of saw you want to just own one of. Currently the 045/056 models make up over half my saw "collection". Sadly I only have two of which are operational at the time. The other 4 are on the operating table. Regardless, I would never hesitate on a 56 mag for $100. Good luck!

Stihl 056 Magnum II powerhead for only $100? That's an absolute steal if the saw is in decent structural shape.

The 056 Magnum II was only made for a couple years in the late 70s before being replaced by the 064. So finding one at all is uncommon. The fact it ran well before suddenly losing power means it's likely just fuel delivery issues or something minor causing the dogginess.

I came across a 056 magnum 2 the guy said it ran then just got real doggy so he went and got a new saw, I have heard it’s a rare saw, power head only for $100 so I’m guessing that’s a really good deal
Ive been looking for a mag2 to purchase. Can you pm me, or look me up - John at Rapid Xcceleration

I have restored a couple of those. Cool saw. But, saying it will do anything an 066 or MS660 wouldn't do, I must have missed it.
Now, if you are a collector that is one thing. If you want to cut wood and keep a saw up and running there are simpler examples.
Nothing on an 066 or MS660 you can't get on eBay or even the Stihl dealer.
056, not so much.

But, for $100 , I would sure buy it.

I've got two that are complete 056M. One needs the Bosch coil replaced, the other one an oil pump. The former was free and came with two parts saws, not sure if the parts saws are magnums or not? The latter runs but needs the oil pump replaced, That one also free and came with a new 20" E-bar, and a straight gassed 026. Someday I may get to fixing them.

I have a Logosol CS mill and would be backups for my 066.

I have restored a couple of those. Cool saw. But, saying it will do anything an 066 or MS660 wouldn't do, I must have missed it.
Now, if you are a collector that is one thing. If you want to cut wood and keep a saw up and running there are simpler examples.
Nothing on an 066 or MS660 you can't get on eBay or even the Stihl dealer.
056, not so much.

But, for $100 , I would sure buy it.

That all depends on if the couple you have restored were basic 056's or 056 Magnum 2's. There is a bit of a difference.
The Magnum 2 will do all the 066/660 can and do it better, especially big timber with a longer bar.

That all depends on if the couple you have restored were basic 056's or 056 Magnum 2's. There is a bit of a difference.
The Magnum 2 will do all the 066/660 can and do it better, especially big timber with a longer bar.
The same 38mm crank in all those 056 models I do believe.
The 1122 has the 40mm. I'm assuming the old stuff should run about like an 048. 056Mag2 has a 56mm bore so this is close to a 395 in square terms. Husky 285 298 ect and such had the longer stroke on those older models.

Maybe. But, that is all I did was Mag II's. With an 8 pin rim they do very well. But, the trade off is anybody's opinion.

Between getting parts as necessary.

Latest posts

Back