stihl 066 chainsaw?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

needcoffee

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
i recently purchased a stihl (supposed to be)066 chainsaw from a guy on ebay. the guy apparently was not all that great of a mechanic and neglected to tighten the head bolts down, blah blah blah. needless to say, the head gasket was demolished, so i tried to get another one and it is the wrong size, but right gasket, so says da man. so i'm guessing it isn't an 066. is there any way to tell from the casting numbers what model it is? thanks for your help.

so the guy apparently gave me the wrong part and is just swearing to it? shoulda went to the local parts store instead

It looks like an 066 Red Light, but parts can be changed....

I'm assuming that you already pulled the jug, so what is the piston diameter? What is the spacing between the cylinder base holes, and your replacement gasket?

Did you get the thick, rubber coated 1mm gasket or plain steel .5mm gasket?

Last edited:
I bought a couple of 066 MS660 gaskets from the local Stihl dealer and they were off a few milimeters. I don't know whether they put some 046 MS 460 gaskets in the wrong place or what. I suppose it's possible that Stihl could have shipped some of them marked wrong. They re-ordered some from Stihl and the ones that came in were correct.

The 064 and 066 gaskets can easily be confused, but the hole spacing is just a little different. The holes can be egged to make fit. What I found interesting is that the .5mm 064 gasket clears the skirt on the 066BB piston, but the .5mm 066 gasket doesn't.:confused:

ok, i broke out the tape, the gasket measures 1 13/16 * 1 15/16 between holes. the head measures 1 15/16 * 2 3/16. the bore is 2 1/8. would it be easier in metric? if so i will get conversions and post back.

oh, i forgot, the gasket is just a skimpy paper gasket, no metal at all as i would have expected. i'm not sure of the metric thickness as i don't really have a way to measure anything that thin, at least not without some death defying acts in the garage.

i did a metric conversion, the sizes are 46mm * 49mm c2c on the gasket, 49mm * 55mm c2c on the head. 54mm cylinder bore. looks like it is the wrong part, but the right saw. thank you guys very much for your help

Latest posts

Back