Stihl 066 older model

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lbj

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a 066 without a decompression button and it has the metal flywheel starting to hear some negative views on the saw regarding a weak crank . Should I be worried or be looking for a 066 with the polly flywheel ? just want a reliable saw and don’t need a new 661 . This saw has good compression and starts right up . Thanks for any info

I'd say keep it. If I'm not mistaken, that unit might have the ability to hold the fast idle position which makes it easy to cold start after a pop on choke. That design was changed and lots of newer 066, 650, and 660 saws don't hold the fast idle. Instead, the slip to the slow idle from choke and are a gorilla to start.

Just picked up a 066 without a decompression button and it has the metal flywheel starting to hear some negative views on the saw regarding a weak crank . Should I be worried or be looking for a 066 with the polly flywheel ? just want a reliable saw and don’t need a new 661 . This saw has good compression and starts right up . Thanks for any info
A buddy used an early non-decomp 066 for logging for many years, it's still a solid runner and to the best of my knowledge the crank hasn't given him any issues.

I have seen a couple with the crank broke at the back of the flywheel, but it is a pretty low percentage of it happening. I would not give it a second thought. I would tune it at around 12500rpms and go with it. Those without the decomp are usually strong runners. I bought a bunch of parts saws 064s, 066s at a closed sawmill auction and a couple broke cranks were in the bunch. I still have them, but would be a hard find were ever they are at.

I heard the crank would break if they were revved up then slammed down onto a log too hard. The momentum of the flywheel would torque on the crank and snap it.

Back