Stihl 066 question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

drsamm

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Picked up an early 066 - flat top plastic with no compression release - in really good shape for a great price with one problem....on the clutch side, the rear hole where the rubber buffer mounts has been broken. All else on the saw is in good shape for it's age. Great compression, flywheel, carb, etc., etc. in very good condition. My question is what crankcases in the larger Stihl saws is interchangeable or is there one? Is the 046, 460, 064, etc. the same? Will a clutch side from another model mate up to the flywheel side of mine? Bearings the same diameter? Having a time finding a clutch side specifically for an 066 and knew some of you out there would know for sure. Also...I've done everything else that can be imagined to Stihls, except for splitting a case. Doesn't look to terribly complicated, but I'd like to know the little tricks that I know are there, before taking this one completely apart. Are the case splitting tools I see on Ebay really necessary for this job? Is any sort of sealant used on the main gasket between the halves? If so, what kind is best? From many years of working on cars, I would certainly think something is needed, but just don't know...would love some advice from some of you fellows who are far more knowledgeable then me on this! Thanks in advance for any and all answers...

The early model 066 and late model 066 have different size cases and will not match. Not positive on the 064, but I'm pretty sure it will match.

You'd think Stihl would have improved their case design in that location by now. They could even use a replaceable bolt on yoke which would work.

I don't see how it could be fixed to be reliable. Plus, I don't have the piece that's missing. The guy I got it from had scabbed a sheet metal piece on to cover the void and hold the rubber piece, but it's just a mess. I wouldn't leave it like that. I haven't had much luck uploading pictures here, but I'll see if I can do it...thank you all for the replies. Still need the answers to the other questions though...

you need an exact match for your case half, there are multiple different early 066 cases, that look the same until the crank doesn't fit :)
an 0640 case will not work, different head bolt size and spacing
also working against you is that early cases were not as "true" from the assembly line and had to be matched through modification at the factory, replacement cases are/were sold only as a set
there is at least one guy on here that could likely make you case good as new, send welding saw-guru Scarr a pm with a few nice pics and he can let you know what is possible
if you do need to replace the case, it is critical to know which case and crankshaft you have now, so you can buy the right parts
Dave

Well thanks Dave! Should have known it would be more complicated than it appeared. Guess most everything winds up being that way. So from what you are saying, it appears that I might wind up just having to buy a complete case from a used saw and just put my crank, etc. in it. I wonder if there is any good or reliable way to know if my crank would fit a used case, if I am even lucky enough to find one? Guess it might get into serial numbers and all of that and may not even be worth it. I'm sure it would work the way he had it, but I just can't hold with cobbling something like this together. Got the saw with a nice bar and chain for a really good deal, but with all of this, it might wind up not being such a good deal. Learn something new every day...and nobody has yet answered the other questions...about getting these crankcases apart and putting them back together again. Do you know about that part?

Well that's encouraging...mine has the aluminum flywheel. With your information, it should be easy enough to get the right thing. I'm sure the part numbers are cast into the halves I already have, just not sure exactly where. Never had the need to look for them on any of the other saws I've fixed. Anyway, should be easy enough to find them and go from there. Sure hope I can find the correct case side, or both. I would really hate to just sit this one on the shelf indefinitely. It is a keeper in all other ways... Thank you for the information!

I'll see about getting that part number this evening and post it...thank you!

Finally found the part # on the inner web...9-1122-020-2900 Don't think that 9 has anything to do with the part number, or I may be just hallucinating. It's really down in that web...

Alex - If you get a minute, could you check that part number against what you have? If you have the piece, and would part with it, just let me know how much...Thank you.

Latest posts

Back