Stihl 075/076 Ignition

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigSkyX

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Ok, I've read the long thread on here about these saws but the pictures that correspond with this topic are missing now and I'm looking for just a little clarification. I've searched and while some topics have gotten close, I can't find exactly what I'm looking for.

Here's the situation: I grew up with and 075 that my grandfather owned and remember my dad cutting with it when I was young. My Grandfather died in the 90's, no one has seen the saw since. I recently came across a craigslist ad for a 075 that was in pretty rough shape but exactly like my grandfathers old saw. I went an looked at it, it was in really rough shape, like so bad I'm not sure I can even make it run. It had been buried in a barn for about 10 years and last time it ran it apparently didn't run all that well. I got the saw for next to nothing. The barn had cats, the cats have peed on this saw for years, it was caked in mud, dirt and god only knows what else. My wife hates me for owning it now and I'm pretty sure she thinks I'm an idiot for even wasting my time with it. The saw is so bad my dog peed on it when I brought it home and it was sitting on the garage floor.

I have it mostly torn down, once inside things looked a little better than I thought they would but its still rough. I know the coil is bad, it's really rusted and has been peed on... a lot. I have the service manual for the saw and it says on the first page the 075 and 076 are the same with minimal exceptions, one being the ignition system. I called to get a coil and the shop said the 076 coil is all that is available. I now have that. My 075 currently has the 075 round transistor ignition trigger plate. The part number is 1114 400 1000. My question is will that trigger work with the 076 coil, part number 1111 400 1303 (Stihl is telling me is the replacement for the coil on the 075) or do I need to order the trigger from the 076, part number 1118 400 1001?

The service manual says that Techinacal Information Bulletin Number 27.80 outlines the relevant engineering changes between the saws, I'd really love to know about the "relevant engineering changes" but so far I haven't been about to turn up that bulletin. If anyone has a lead on where to find it, I'd love to hear it.

076 ignition 002.JPG

076 ignition 003.JPG
This pic is from a 076 IPL and list this set up as 'parts for previous model' (076) ?....The IPl only lists one part number for the coil...pn,1111 400 1301.
The top pic shows trigger unit pn,1118 400 1004..... item 14 in the pic.

Now I think I'm even more confused. I have the IPL for the 076 and 075, the part number you listed is not on either of the ones that I have. I did look up that part # and it says is fits a TS760, I know most of the parts are interchangable, the trigger pictured is also not on either IPL that I have nor does it match whats on the saw. To confuse me even more, I found this on another site:

Now as for the ignitions, sounds like you have the 1111 400 1305 coil. This coil uses a wire for the on/off switch and has a pair the goes to the trigger. Your trigger is under the flywheel as you know. You can use an external trigger in its place. I do not use under the flywheel triggers on any of my 1111 series Stihls. The external trigger is Stihl P/N 1118 400 1001 that sells for around $40.
Stihl only offers two coils now to the best of my knowledge. The 1111 400 1301 and 1111 400 1303 coils. You can still find your coil 1111 400 1305.
If you need a new coil, then I would get the 1111 400 1303 off EBAY or ?? This coil is a module and does not require any trigger. It has the spark plug wire (secondary wire) and one wire that goes to the on/off switch.

This throws me off an makes me question if its true because the IPL for the 076 lists the part number that he's talking about (1111 400 1303) a but also shows a trigger that based on my underestanding he's saying isn't needed. It's looking like I might have to put it together and try a little trial and error until it works.

The ignition triggers serve the same purpose and that is to take the place of points on an analog coil. So either of those triggers will work with your coil. The trigger unit you don't want to use is the 4205 unit for the cut-off saws since it is rev-limited to 6500 RPM.

Awesome! Thank you. I'll put it all back together and see what happens. So to post I referenced above about not needing a trigger with the coil I have is inncorrect?

I believe that the 1303 coil does not use the trigger module. The IPLs show several different possibilities. So, when an IPL shows two different coils and one trigger unit, that doesn't mean that both coils use that trigger unit.

These are the pages from the IPL's I have. The first is the 075 with the trigger I have as part 22. The second picture is the 076, until you mentioned their being 2 different coils in the diagram I didn't notice the 2 different ones in the 076 IPL. I saw them both but didn't notice the difference. Weird that part 5 in the picture is a different coil than part 1 but the part number for part 5 is a "lead retainer" and not a coil and doesn't list a part number for that coil at all. Thanks for the info, I guess what I'm taking away is you need the trigger in the second diagram only if you are using the coil that is number 5 and not part number 1(that I have). Thanks for helping me get to the bottom of this.

Latest posts

Back