Stihl 075 Chainsaw Mill Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mitchellmead9

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello,

I have been looking to run a chainsaw mill since my current band mill only takes up to a 28" diameter for logs. I have logs around 60" in diameter that are starting to pile up. I came across an 075 in a barn sale for $10... long story short I got it running. First question, which size bar would be required on a chainsaw mill to cut a 60" log? I have heard you need 6" extra, making my second question, obviously, can a Stihl 075 handle a 66" bar?

I have found some guys telling me an 075 would run a 72" bar fine with the amount of torque it has, but I have also heard things as weird as 36" being the maximum.

Any help is greatly appreciated!!!

Congrats on a good deal on that saw. I think you will be fine with a long bar. I have an 076 that I mill with that has a 47" bar and it has plenty of power with full complement chain.

But if I was going to put a six-foot bar on it I think I would go to a full skip chain. That will be a bit slower, but allow the rpm's to stay up.

Back