Stihl 088 KD

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weatherby

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Alright, I've had this saw for over a year now and I really have no use for it. The saw is still pretty much brand new and has never touched wood except when Ken Dunn tested it before and after woods modification. Here is the email from Ken showing the improvements.

>From: "Ken Dunn"
>To: [email protected]
>Subject: Re: stihl 088
>Date: Sat, 19 Apr 2003 17:52:27 +0000
>
Hi Rob,

Sorry about the delay, The saw went out wenesday. it presently is in West Columbia, SC.

should be delivered monday. . It went from a 14.97 cut in a 24 inch log to a 9.88 cut with the mods. I'll post the times on abs soon . The tracking no is 1z8523311241580847.

Check and see if the rubber insulator that covers the hi and low jets in the side of the saw is missing I found a extha one on my bench. thanks, ken

I have started the saw at least once a month to keep it lubed up and in good running order. As you can see from the box I keep it in, I take care of my equipment. The only scratches on the saw are on the bottom, from shipping and sitting on the ground idling. The bar is the original 21" .404 bar that has been converted to run 3/8" chain. The sprocket is an 8 pin.

The price is $1300 shipped to your door if you are within the 48 contiguous States.

Mark,

He just did the basic woods modification. I never planned on doing anything other than cutting a large tree with it, so I didnt want a drastic modification. As far as I know he did not bump up the carb.

Rob

I'll take $1250 shipped to your door if you are within the 48 contiguous States if anyone is interested.

Me of course!

Its more than I need, but I am pushing needing a 066, this is only a coupla hundred more than a new 066+tax, so I figured I would get some more info on it ya know.

I guess when you retire you can come over here and show me how its done!:p

Thats what I was thinking but why? The diff in the price is like 230 bucks or less.

I am looking on Stihls site:
The 088 has 1.5hp more, but weighs 6 pounds more.

I am processing firewood now, so there is turning miles of trunk into 16" pieces.

Plus the 088 has the SAG (shats and giggles) factor out the wazoo:).

Last edited:
Karl, Rich is impressed because it's the biggest saw to be had, per say. He wants to have bragging rights. Pshaw. Bragging rights don't help ya none out in the field, or in the saw shop. Go with a six-six, and be done with it.

MasterBlaster said:
Karl, Rich is impressed because it's the biggest saw to be had, per say. He wants to have bragging rights. Pshaw. Bragging rights don't help ya none out in the field, or in the saw shop. Go with a six-six, and be done with it.

Good one Butch!!! And what is wrong with bragging rights. As if you need to ask with all the BS over your friggin' 10,000 post goal. Who the fook cares about post counts anyhoo!!!

Sheeze!!!

Carl is a big boy and certainly can assess his own wants and needs!

Just think I have as many saws as you have smoke!

Ahhhhhhhh........OK!!!

Coming to the GTG.......Butch???

Last edited:
Butch!! Don't try to take away a potential customer from me!! :p

All kidding aside, I talked with Lumberjack awhile, and told him the 066 would probably be better for him, definitely easier on the back. Its a great saw, don't get me wrong, but I wouldnt want to cut with it all day.

Back