Stihl 090 Barn find gone wrong

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So I took a closer look today, and it has an 070 clutch on it, didnt notice when I took the bar off. That had me wondering so I measured the cylinder and it was 66mm, so I seem to have a bit of a frankensaw

Here are the picture of the partially cleaned case now. Crank looks like it might clean up alright, would just need to find a rod if thats the case.
20170227_182049.jpg 20170227_182041.jpg

You wouldn't happen to have a media blaster/power coater in the family would you?

Unfortunately no,

I have been looking for an excuse to buy a little blasting cabinet, just not sure if I have anywhere to put one. Also, I have been thinking powder coating may be the best to quell the white death. There are a few shops around me that can do it, I guess I could get a price.

Unfortunately no,

I have been looking for an excuse to buy a little blasting cabinet, just not sure if I have anywhere to put one.

That road is fraught with danger. It sets you to thinking that a little shop would be nice and a little shop with attached 2 car garage sure would be better.

Unfortunately no,

I have been looking for an excuse to buy a little blasting cabinet, just not sure if I have anywhere to put one. Also, I have been thinking powder coating may be the best to quell the white death. There are a few shops around me that can do it, I guess I could get a price.

I have a larger blasting cabinet in the garage, but it does take up a lot of space. If you're worried about space, just get a plastic hopper and sandblast gun (maybe $50?), hook it up to your air compressor, and blast outside. That's what I do more often - it's easier, you can blast larger parts, and you can still reclaim your media (I usually blast on a tarp and then use a shop vacuum to suck it all back up). Wear gloves and a blasting hood and go to town.

You do need a decent sized compressor. If you have a 30 gallons or less, you're going to have a lot of downtime. I'm running an 80 gallon 2 stage Quincy and sometimes it needs a break if I'm blasting nonstop.

Good luck.

Scott

I am going to try and find time to make a splitter and open the case this week. If it isn't too bad and I can put a stop to the white death I may just build it. I will look for a used top end though I have my doubts. Definately can't afford to shell out $700 CDN for a new oem. Anyone have any experience with aftermarket kits on these?
For what you've already got into it aftermarket is a viable option.You could have a decent runner for under 500$, including the purchase price, not bad.:eek::cool:

So I took a closer look today, and it has an 070 clutch on it, didnt notice when I took the bar off. That had me wondering so I measured the cylinder and it was 66mm, so I seem to have a bit of a frankensaw
070 clutch,, will NOT stand up to 090 power levels,,,guarenteed!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest posts

Back