Stihl 170 oil hose replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think you did mis-understand the question. When you put the filter end of the oil hose into the tank, it can go into the narrow part of the tank that is under the flywheel, or into the main body of the tank where you put the oil in. It seems to me that the part under the flywheel is the lowest point, and would be the last part of the tank to empty. However, if it is the lowest point, then seems to me that sawdust and other debris would collect there, and that would plug up the filter. By putting the filter and hose into the main part of the tank next to the flywheel, but not under it, the filter would stay cleaner, and it would be a lot easier to clean or change it by taking the filler cap off, and fishing for it.

Good photos. Thanks.

I think you did mis-understand the question. When you put the filter end of the oil hose into the tank, it can go into the narrow part of the tank that is under the flywheel, or into the main body of the tank where you put the oil in. It seems to me that the part under the flywheel is the lowest point, and would be the last part of the tank to empty. However, if it is the lowest point, then seems to me that sawdust and other debris would collect there, and that would plug up the filter. By putting the filter and hose into the main part of the tank next to the flywheel, but not under it, the filter would stay cleaner, and it would be a lot easier to clean or change it by taking the filler cap off, and fishing for it.

Good photos. Thanks.
Ah, ok. When disassembling the 10 170s I picked up the hoses were in the position shown, not crammed into that smaller portion of the tank.
However, it would make sense to put the pickup into the place that would maintain oil the longest. I'll play with that whenever I get around to assembling these little suckers.

Back