stihl 180 gas chainsaw

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Once you receive your "new" saw from them, make sure they tune it in test cut in wood. It should be their responsibility to do this in the first place. Many saws do come off the line lean.. setup in factory and not cutting in wood.

Its an ACE hardware I don't think they are setup to try it in a cut. The do start it, but I have already asked if they can check it before I take it home for whatever the factory defect was and they said no.

Its an ACE hardware I don't think they are setup to try it in a cut. The do start it, but I have already asked if they can check it before I take it home for whatever the factory defect was and they said no.

That's similar to our Western Auto. It's been here forever, and has an excellent parts and repair service, but they don't do any testing other than making sure the saw works properly and is oiling the bar.

180 stihl gas

Sorry its been so long coming back to update. I have my new saw and it works great. They had cleared out the serial numbers out of their computer so I cant share those. But would highly recommend if anyone has the problems I have make them check the saw out right. I finished my first carving and working on the second. I like the carving and it will take time before I get any good at this. Thanks for the support and Happy Easter
Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn MoreView attachment 232612

Nice jobe on your first carving!

Glad you have the saw thing sorted out...How long did it take to carve the bear?

do not have face book, post some of your pictures here....... and some of what you carve too

I knew there had to be a problem with the saw. At least we know you're not in Denmark and you're not "rotten" either!:laugh: Like some others I could not view the Facebook link. Hopefully you'll put up some pics over here too! Thanks:cool2:

bear

Made lots of mistakes but I like him a lot. Named him Bear Belly Bill after my husband. Have started carving a indian woman head this time, Head is way to big and face is way to small but Im learning. Just having fun. Till next time.

Something that has possibly not been brought to your attention yet from your dealers is that both the MS 170 and MS 180 are not very suitable for use as carving saws. The reason for this is these units have balanced idle system carburetors that do not have acclelerator pumps resulting in the unit running very hot from constant throttle and deceleration. Other than an LD screw for adjusting the idle these carburetor have no external adjustment. This was also covered while I was in gold school in VA. I have also experienced a number of units that have lean failed during the first hours of use as these saws run very lean and are also tuned to the atmoshere at sea level at the factory and may run too lean in certain altitudes during break in. In these cases I have never had an issue with replacing a unit for a customer as repairing the saw would far outprice replacing it. A unit with an accelerator equipped carburetor, such as a MS 192 TC, is a much better choice. This unit is the same as the MS 192 arbor unit but set up for ground use and has a commercial grade engine. There are other saws that would be suitable as well if your dealer is familiar enough with them.

Back