Stihl 192 - Missing a few parts I can't identify, need help please

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

B.C.

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I have a Stihl 192 I bought from a guy that sold me all of his chainsaw stuff in one giant lot. This one was pretty rough but I'd really like to have a top handle saw going. Bought a few parts for it already, was missing recoil starter assembly (and ignition coil, which at this point I don't think I needed), got that and tried to start it, no luck, no joy. Last night I did a pressure test on the crankcase, it couldn't hold anything at all. I assumed it was probably the intake boot and there was some burn damage from apparent overheating where it connected to the cylinder when I took that off, but it wasn't too bad so I sealed it permanently with motoseal.

After letting it sit and coming back to it today and re-performing the pressure test, well, it was kind of a nightmare. There is a hole in the side of the cylinder on the flywheel/stator side, and I have no idea what is supposed to go there, the part is missing as is whatever hose may have been attached to it. I have no idea what it looks like, or how it is supposed to connect to anything else. It appears to go straight into the cylinder chamber and is just to the left of the numbers printed on the cylinder, which are "STIHL 1137C AL BR 2122".

I looked around for some diagrams but couldn't really figure out what was supposed to be there an what parts I would need to fix it? Spent an hour trying to find something on google images to show it, didn't find anything. This is mainly my current issue, I have no idea what goes there.

ON top of that, the whole cylinder gasket seal is also bad, so beyond these parts I would need to totally disassemble, clean, and regasket the cylinder. It does have good compression though at 125psi, so I'm thinking it might actually be worth doing. That part (gasketing the cylinder) I can probably handle, but I have no idea what these other parts I need are?

Side note/rant: These sure are a massive pain in the ass to take apart, I'm kind of curious at this point of some far simpler top handle designs on a fairly light saw even if it doesn't have but half the power that isn't too old. I know some old homelites do, and I might try to get one of those I think I have running despite the age. I far less enjoy working on complicated ass hard to assemble/disassemble stuff like this 192.

Yes, that is where the hole is. I found this picture as well. I assumed a line went to it, but I don't know what its supposed to look like or what/where it goes and attached to? I thought maybe the carburetor

I was just starting to put that together as well, I searched "stihl 192" on ebay and am going through everything to try and find clues. I did see that metal part, and I also saw an impulse line on ebay I will attach a picture of. It appears maybe that the line goes up and then to the saw body, it does look like this hose might be a correct part as there is a rectangular opening where the hose could route, however, I don't understand what the point is, or where it would go from there? Seems like just ending there it would get all full of sawdust being just under the air box for the carb and sitting right on top of the saw body? And it would still essentially be a big arse hole in the cylinder, which would short circuit any ability to draw fuel and build vacuum wouldn't it? Seems like these two parts might be on the right path (no idea what part number that metal part is still that connects directly to the cylinder) but that there might, and from my limited knowledge seems like SHOULD be more to it?

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    s-l1600.jpg
    195.5 KB · Views: 11
  • s-l16002.jpg
    s-l16002.jpg
    267.4 KB · Views: 11
192 001.JPG Here is another page out of the manual, which shows the line. You ought to consider getting a copy of the Mediacat, then you could have all of the IPLs and most of the mechanic manuals, up to the year 2012, it is very handy.

I think I figured another piece of the puzzle out, in the picture you can see exactly what the carburetor looks like. I think the impulse connection is on the top at that elbow fitting over the diaphragm!

However other than that one impulse line I found on ebay there above, I can't find the metal or whatever other hoses/fittings get it from the cylinder all the way to the top of the carburetor! There must be at least 3 parts? The metal elbow from the cylinder, the impulse line above, and at least one other line to go from the above (part number 1137 141 8600) into the air box / or connect the carb?

Looking at the parts from the air box, there is a black plastic piece of the air filter that fits over that elbow on the carburetor, so the impulse must have a line that goes from the 1137 141 8600 part on to connect to the air box. I still don't get how it can somehow impulse the carb without an actually well sealed air box though. I think there might be another part missing possibly, a rubber gasket to go around the gas lines from the primer bulb as they pass through the air box too.

>.<

At this point I'm wondering if a cheap parts saw might be the way to go.... If I knew it was intact and not missing anything. I might spend the same amount on four or five different parts. Plus the starter I bought is kinda junky.

I do not find the nipple in the ipl, so it likely isn't supposed to come out of the cylinder block, and was likely just pressed in. I would consider pressing in a different fitting and just running a Tygon line up as your impulse line for now. I think some of the aftermarket cylinders come with a brass fitting loose, you might ask some of the other guys here if they have an extra.

I didn't see your picture, there must be an elbow in the air box that is missing because that point of connection it shows under the handle with the hose fitting there doesn't exist on mine, just a rectangular hole in the bottom of the air box opposite side the fuel lines.

I get how the theory of the impulse works, what I don't get is how this air box is supposed to actually generate any pressure with the giant places for air to escape such as; Into the carburetor intake itself, the whole handle body, and right out the big gaps where the fuel lines come in. Seems like it would only work if at least the top of the handle and where the fuel lines come in were blocked off. I guess I could potentially go for a redneck fix with some copper tube and plenty of motoseal to see if it works and not have to buy anything... heh. I'd really like to know if the top of the handle and the point of entry through the air box for the fuel/return lines need to be blocked off though. (Thoroughly baffled why someone would remove those from a saw but nothing else, maybe someone else tried to rebuild and failed miserably.)

I am not real familiar with the ms192, not many around here in redneck country. I am assuming that the fitting corresponds with a passage that mates with the hole on the lip of the intake elbow and the carb seals over that.
Put up some pics of what you have, I am sure that is the case.

After meticulously watching a Donyboy video on youtube where he does the intake boot, I saw that on the saw he was working on, those same holes were there! I also noted that there is a hole near the carb on that boot where I would expect the impulse to go, I was wrong HarleyT, there IS a barb fitting on the back, I just couldn't see it. It is integrated into the handle plastic and feeds that hole into the air filter box. So I do need parts, at least two, the metal elbow out the cylinder, and the impulse line to connect to the barb on the handle.

I think it's possible that the rubber line is one piece, but I'm scouring the net here and not finding either part it seems.

Yeah, I need a parts saw. Wonder if anyone here has one, I checked the sell section but didn't really find any that were just for parts. Thanks for you help HarleyT, I have a pretty good idea what I need now.

Yeah, I was really kinda hoping someone that had one sitting on a shelf would chime in, and then I could buy the parts I needed! haha! Thanks again though.

Latest posts

Back