Stihl 201T saw limiter cap removal

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stihlskin

ArboristSite Operative
AS Supporting Member
Reaction score
gday All, Stihl part no: 5910 890 4502 reverse ( left hand) thread screw in puller for carb limiter cap removal.

I haven't tried to remove the limiter cap yet, as theres yet another proprietary tool which i havent got.

Whats a good removal method to use for this caper? Carb needs a pull down and clean with new diaphragms.

Advice appreciated R. Stihlskin

That’s it. Stihl trying real hard to keep people from getting in there.
They are actually one of my favorites because of the simplicity of defeating them. Doing it that way doesn’t make the cap any less suitable to fit a small slotted screwdriver. Many times the plastic caps get so distorted that a tuning screwdriver no longer seats well

The limiter is the same as the pic huskhl put up, good news i jammed another screw in, carefully as possible, and the limiter housing came out. Screwed out the adjustment screw and it looks in good order , no marks, no ridges but i will have a good look with a magnifying glass as my eyesight isn't 20/20.

When time to reassemble, do i seat screw in and back out 2 turns and go from there. Do I need a spring and washer setup to prevent it vibrating or will it hold up to just screw back in and make the adjustment as is? Nasty move Stihl!

Thanks for helping all, in the end it was a bit of brute force and ignorance but I didn't think it was going to need that.

If it’s this carb, you drill the gray dot out (inside the red circle) and you’ll have full adjustment

Thanks Huski, I shoulda done what you said, I couldn't picture the inside of the limiter and what the components were, but after pulling it out I see what you mean here. The limiter is plastic housed in a metal cylinder. It pulled out with a drywall screw (not sure what that is in Oz terms), but i used a coarse thread screw, probably supposed to be for timber . Thanks for your help, humbly appreciated.

If it’s this carb, you drill the gray dot out (inside the red circle) and you’ll have full adjustment

View attachment 1138107

Back