Stihl 250 takes 4 turns out new carb or old carb , WHY ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kingofcoins

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
The only way I can get my Stihl 250 up and running is to use the choke EVERYTIME to start warm or cold, and turn the LOW screw out
about 4 turns and turn the HIGH screw out about 3 1/2 turns or it will not rev up or idle...and its Now it has the same problem when I installed
a brand NEW Zama carb.....why is it doing this when all other Stihl saws seem to be running fine with about 1 turn out of the L or H screws and
start without the choke when warm ?

I’ve run into this on Stihl handheld equipment and especially the bac pacs. Also a few saws, but not a 1123 family. But that doesn’t mean too much.
The recommended settings aren‘t even close. Again I don’t ever remember it on a 250. If it’s a NEW OEM carb, the only other thing it might be is an air leak. But that almost always shows as overspeeding and high/no idle.
Can you or have someone vac/press test it? In that order, first vac test then pressure. It’s important to do the vac first and rock the crank when crankcase is under vac. That checks the seals. But in 40 plus years working on saws in a dealer environment, I’ve never seen leaking seal on a 025/250 or 251.
Havingto restart on choke is a non-issue

Both my 250's did exactly the same, it's the choked muffler. After the mufflers were modded, the screws had to be turned in to half their original value. It was so bad originally, the air filter was constantly wet from spitback. Nice and dry now.

That just don`t seem right, a choked muffler requiring a richer mix to run. Now mind you I only have owned 7 of these 250 & 230 saws , two came to me with torn crank seals, two had leaks around the pan and seals, three were tuned too lean and scored so I fixed them all and gave four away to young guys just getting started out cutting firewood. I have never modified the mufflers on any of them or seen where they required rich tuning to run well.

The difference is the leveling meter and or diaphragm inside the carb if everything else is equal is a cats hair different. I have tinkered with that carb and put a new leveling meter in and had to totally reset the mixtures. Forgot to mention if the saw is air tight and the coil is firing like it should.

The main reason you need such a rich setting is because the choked muffler holds back a massive amount of exhaust gas in the cylinder and prevents complete scavenging. This leans out the charge and you have to compensate with richer screw settings.
I have seen increased flow and leaner settings with each step I take in getting these mufflers to flow better, as you pull more air the vacuum signal gets stronger and the mix gets richer, so you have to lean them out. The amount of residual exhaust gases also decrease which cuts down on dilution/lean charge.

So, if I understand this fully- you had to tune the original carb way rich and use the choke to start the saw at every turn- so you replaced the carb with an OEM Zama new one and have had to do the exact same thing to get the saw to run?

Then it AINT the carb that is your problem.
Pull the muffler off and give us a photo of what the piston looks like through the exhaust port.

Update on this problem....I modified the muffler, the piston looked normal, and compression was good ....but the saw still
does the same... I started with clean plug, would not fire unless on choke, then stalls at idle or as soon as throttle is opened
..by turning open the low and high screws eventually it will run for a bit but still stall if throttle is touched, AND then if screws are opened
the 3+ turns or so to get it started , then the plug fouls wet and it will not start until I dry it and start the sequence all over again...
So now its either too lean and won't run at all, or too rich and dies anyway ....though it runs I can't see much any spark ...does anyone
think a bad ignition module might be involved ? Saw is 12 years old with little use, and never used at all by the prior owner the last 8-9 years ...

When I get an old clamshell saw, the engine gets rebuilt as a matter of course. Almost always there is an air leak, and it is at the pan-cylinder junction. I don't even bother to check anymore. Also, it's a great opportunity to check piston, cylinder, bearings, and replace rings and seals. I think the instructions to "run a bead" of sealant is not optimal. I clean both surfaces meticulously and use my finger to spread an even coat of sealant on both surfaces, including the oil seal recesses. Then the pan is put on and short bolts are used and torqued to 70 in-lbs. A thin bead of sealant (yamabond 4 or equivalent) is spread around the case at the pan-cylinder junction, where the leaks are most prevalent. The engine sits for two days and then the short bolts are removed (carefully, criss-cross) and the engine mounted in the case and torqued to 95 in-lbs. I don't worry that the seal will crack after the short bolts are removed. This is because I once had to go back into a case after the sealant had set up and had to use a hammer and screwdriver to get them to pop apart. It's a good idea to retorque the engine bolts after break in, since these are subject to a great deal of vibration and flexion. This should save you from having to go back into that "dreaded" clamshell.

Latest posts

Back