Stihl 261c-m trouble

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Sorry, just a reset. The carb will figure it out right away and readjust accordingly. I'm just so used to saying "retune" in regards to muffler mods, it's become habit.

Sorry, just a reset. The carb will figure it out right away and readjust accordingly. I'm just so used to saying "retune" in regards to muffler mods, it's become habit.

Not a problem, just trying to keep as unconfused as possible.

Are the M series carbs supplied with a way to " reset " them? I'm going to at least pull the spark arrestor on my 362C, will the M-Tronic take care of it or require fiddling on my part?

Are the M series carbs supplied with a way to " reset " them? I'm going to at least pull the spark arrestor on my 362C, will the M-Tronic take care of it or require fiddling on my part?

I've heard something like start the saw up, but let it idle (no revving what so ever) then wait 2 min?... then shut it off... I'm sure I got something wrong and will be corrected.

Either way it was something REALLY REALLY easy.

No, that's about it... choke position, let it idle a couple minutes, shut it off. That's all I needed to do. I did take the bar and chain off, first. If it's oiling ok, that's probably not really necessary.

On top of letting it idle for a few min. you should also run it hard in a log unil it has figured out the new settings.

My ms261 was unremarkable early on (16" bar w/.325 semi-chisel chain). Took a long time to come around (7-8 gallons of mix), but it is plenty fast now. IMO 3/8" chain is for 60cc saws and up. If you're looking for the fastest chain on this saw, it'll be .325 pitch. Your choice. Besides, the smaller .325 cutters are faster to sharpen, and are what Stihl recommends for this saw.
7 to 8 Gallons of fuel? Is that for real?

Dealer told me the mini chains are real hard on sprockets. .040 something wide drive lug.

The OP said: "With this saw, you need to almost hold the saw up to keep the chain spinning."

I agree with Brad ... I think that 261 should do much better than what you are experiencing, but I've never ran one before, so ....

Even my new little Makita 43 cc will handle 16" wood quite nicely if I don't lean on it.

I think the op is experiencing the feeling I had when I went from a ms440 to a ms291 and ms260. When you get into the big stuff they don't handle it as well. Bucking a 15-16 inch log is big stuff for those smaller saws.

This one is not MTronic, but it demonstrates that a 261 is not a dog with the bar buried.

.325 or 3/8'' on that 261? I have an m-tronic 261 and it has been a great saw for me. I run it on a .325/18'' combo and it flies, I'll get a Sugihara .063/16''/.325 bar and chain for it in time. It would be even better with that fitted me thinks.

Latest posts

Back