Stihl 261cm, I need some help!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about the fuel solenoid? Could it cause this?
Might, replace it and worst scenario is you have a spare which will come in handy anyway. The only thing after that would be the wiring harness, coil, then flywheel. Do you have another MTron there to take a solenoid off of?

Might, replace it and worst scenario is you have a spare which will come in handy anyway. The only thing after that would be the wiring harness, coil, then flywheel. Do you have another MTron there to take a solenoid off of?
No I don't, my saws are all stardard carbs. is it possible that the m- tron needs reset? Like it adjusted for the degrading piston and now has the wrong calibration?

No I don't, my saws are all stardard carbs. is it possible that the m- tron needs reset? Like it adjusted for the degrading piston and now has the wrong calibration?
Try that solenoid, you ain't getting nothing to reset when it won't run. That's the best thing for your money at this point. And this right here is why I have at least two of every model saw, swapping parts is easy if you have another!

Try that solenoid, you ain't getting nothing to reset when it won't run. That's the best thing for your money at this point. And this right here is why I have at least two of every model saw, swapping parts is easy if you have another!
Any recommendations on a vac/ pressure tester? Harbor freight ones any good?

Yeah I do the same thing, I'm still working this for my neighbor.

Having both pressure and vacuum is very handy. Pressure for the crankcase and carburetor testing, vacuum for crankcase and fuel system. If you expect to work on more than this one saw, get a decent tool that will do both. Crankcase seals often hold pressure, but can leak under vacuum. If you only test pressure you may get a false indication that everything is O.K.

Mark

I have a Harbor Freight one I use at home. OK for occasional use, works fine. Just not for constant use in a shop.
Also, on a sheared flywheel key, use something to roughen the tapers a bit (valve grinding compound, even Comet scouring powder). Helps to keep the flywheel in place when tightening.

Straight gassed maybe, I need to see the other side of the piston I wonder how much compression it's making with that abused cylinder put back on, you did say you just replaced a piston, right? I'm hoping you didn't get China Junk Cylinder or Piston? Do a compression test and post the numbers, pull till the gauge stops rising.

Straight gassed maybe, I need to see the other side of the piston I wonder how much compression it's making with that abused cylinder put back on, you did say you just replaced a piston, right? I'm hoping you didn't get China Junk Cylinder or Piston? Do a compression test and post the numbers, pull till the gauge stops rising.
This is the saw I posted a couple weeks ago! https://www.arboristsite.com/threads/burn-up-ms261c-value.373698/post-8228364. Oem piston btw. Cleaned the cylinder up, but this guy wants it fixed cheap!

Back