Stihl 270 won't run when sideways

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

slander

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello everyone. New to the forum.

I have a Stihl 270 that runs just fine when cutting perpendicular to the ground, but when I want to actually cut down a tree, and turn the saw sideways to cut parallel to the ground, she dies. Can't get her to run when turned sideways at all.

Any ideas of what might be going wrong?

Thanks!

Let me apologize in advance - just can't help myself here.....

The problem has to do with the label on the saw, it should read Husqvarna.

It should read Husqvarna.

Then it wouldn't run right side up either:biggrinbounce2:

It sounds like you have air air leak somewhere. The first thing I would check is the fuel line, make sure it does not have a hole. Check your impulse hose and the boot between the carb and the motor. If that stuff is ok I would pressure/vac test it to see if the crank seals are leaking. You might also check the four bolts that hold the jug on to see if they are tight. I saw an 039 once that one of those came loose and caused an airleak.
If you don't know how to pressure/vac it, search on here or take it to a dealer. Don't run the saw anymore until you figure this out. If it is sucking air, it will be to lean and eventually blow up.

Then it wouldn't run right side up either:biggrinbounce2:

It sounds like you have air air leak somewhere. The first thing I would check is the fuel line, make sure it does not have a hole. Check your impulse hose and the boot between the carb and the motor. If that stuff is ok I would pressure/vac test it to see if the crank seals are leaking. You might also check the four bolts that hold the jug on to see if they are tight. I saw an 039 once that one of those came loose and caused an airleak.
If you don't know how to pressure/vac it, search on here or take it to a dealer. Don't run the saw anymore until you figure this out. If it is sucking air, it will be to lean and eventually blow up.

I'll definitely be checking for an air leak somewhere.

By the way, I picked up an 038 Magnum 2 in trade for some work. He's got about 2 cord of maple, fresh cut, that he wants split up, and I just so happen to have a very handy wood splitter. I can make short work of 2 cord of maple. Saw runs great. What do you guys think of the 038 Magnum 2 saw?

could also be fuel line/filter, stuck/bound up on the left side of tank, not allowing the filter to move when layed over..
check that it's free...
my .02 cents

Air leak, as Fish said check the fuel line and if its cracked check the carb it may have sucked in some dirt.
If the saw were older it might be a crankshaft seal, but unless your saw has a ton of hours of use I doubt it's the seal.

Are you sure your carb is tuned/adjusted properly? If not, the dealer should
do this for free for you.

The local dealer around here charges an arm and a leg for everything.

Lets put it this way. The electronic ignition in my 032av went out on me, so I took it to the local J&I. He gave me a song and dance on how the saw was as good as junk, and you can't get parts for it anymore and there's no way to fix it at this point. So I asked him what he would give me for a trade-in on another used saw. He had an 031 he wanted to sell me for 400 dollars and he offered me 10 dollars for my 032. I laughed the entire way out of the store. He was the manager of the store, and his dad was the owner, and I got treated like that? Like hell. So I went down to a local Ma & Pa saw and lawn mower repair shop, he knew exactly what the problem was. He sold me a 6 dollar part that he had on shelf, with instructions. It took me 5 minutes to install it, and my trust 'ol 032 ran like new again. Still got the saw, and will keep it until it's dead.

I don't even go to J&I to buy new chains anymore after that ordeal.

I just picked up another saw just yesterday, 038 Magnum 2.

I'll be digging into this 270 here in about an hour. I'll let you guys know what I find. Thanks again!

So this is what I've done so far, and the results:

I removed the carb, and mostly disassembled it. Just took it down as far as I needed. I checked the diaphragm, it's like new yet. I cleaned the jets, and the venturis with a light piece of wire very carefully. Cleaned, inspected everything. I also checked the the fuel line, it's in great shape. Nice and soft plastic yet. The filter was also clean.

Here's the kicker. I start it up, and when holding it upright, it wants to bog. Turn it sideways as if I was felling a tree, the thing runs like a champ. Turn it back upright, bogs and dies.

So now it's the exact opposite of what it was doing before.

Any suggestions on where I could look next? Thanks guys!

So this is what I've done so far, and the results:

I removed the carb, and mostly disassembled it. Just took it down as far as I needed. I checked the diaphragm, it's like new yet. I cleaned the jets, and the venturis with a light piece of wire very carefully. Cleaned, inspected everything. I also checked the the fuel line, it's in great shape. Nice and soft plastic yet. The filter was also clean.

Here's the kicker. I start it up, and when holding it upright, it wants to bog. Turn it sideways as if I was felling a tree, the thing runs like a champ. Turn it back upright, bogs and dies.

So now it's the exact opposite of what it was doing before.

Any suggestions on where I could look next? Thanks guys!

How full is gas tank? Someone earlier mentioned that fuel line may be short or catching on something inside tank. About only thing you didn't mention re carb was checking the metering lever and needle.

Gas is plumb full, fresh mix. I did check the level needle, and it's clean and functioning properly.

The fuel pickup tube is plenty long from what I see.

Not sure. After several hours of messing with the saw, I gave up on it. 51 dollars for a new carb. We'll see how it goes.

Back