Stihl 290 Big Problems Please Help

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tshannon

Reaction score
I'm pretty new to this site, but I have a question that I know someone on here will help me with. My father has a 290 stihl, farm boss and was using it this weekend. OOPS, put the wrong fuel in it, not a mix. Small engine guy looked at it and said it is beyond repair because of the pistons. What do you guys think? The saw is only 2 years old, used maybe 5 times. Thanks.

Well... the 5th time toasted it...

If you're really lucky, the cylinder can get saved (honed etc) but you'll need a new piston at a minimum. If not, $200 in NEW Dealer sourced OEM parts, $90 for aftermaket chinese parts, $100 or so for Ebay OEM new, or less for used (maybe $50-$70 for a good piston and cylinder) , and you can put the saw back on the road.

Get a service manual...

Whether it's worth it or not is up to you. You will likely get $80 to $100 on ebay as is..

Ok, great, so it is worth fixing. Thanks for the help. Which would be the chinese parts and would they be worth trying to get or should I definitely stick to the OEM stuff. Thanks again.

One thing you have to look at is, how long did the saw run with straight gas in it? It could have done more damage than the piston, Crank bearings, rod bearings, etc. The only correct way to do it would be to pull the engine down completely and look at all the parts and determine the shape.

I have been able to build some engines for people with a new cylinder and piston and worked great. However, at a Stihl dealer using OEM parts it will cost you quite a bit and you maybe able to buy a new saw.

Good Luck!

Latest posts

Back