Stihl 310 or 361 is it worth 200 bucks more ?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brad Snyder

Reaction score
Hello all

I'm in the market for a new mid range saw.I 'm looking at the Stihl ms 310 and the ms361. Is the 361 worth the extra 200 bucks and why? I don't mind spending the extra if it is going to make me a more happier cutter.Is the chain tightener option worth the extra 20 bucks and will it hold up ? I use the saw in late fall and winter to cut wood to heat my home.Seems like I can't find time until I need the wood for heat.I live in Nebraska and have cut in the snow.I do enjoy the work and this way I do not work up a lather as apposed to the warmer weather.Do I need a heated carb option if I use it in the winter ? Thanks in advance for all your thoughts , this site is great !! Brad:chainsaw: :chainsaw:

Better antivib. a LOT more power, lighter, the ability to run a 25" bar easily, a 28" not so easily. A saw that will last about tice as long. A magnesium crankcase, vs, a plastic crankcase.
If you don't mind spending the money, I say go for it, you won't regret it!!!!

I have a 310, never ran a 361, but by almost all accounts on this site, the 361 is a much better saw. I am unsure of the chain tightener option that you are talking about, perhaps the Quick Chain Adjuster? I didnt know that QCA came on either of these saws. Some here like it, some dont, although the general view is it is alright on short bars but not worth a hoot on longer bars. I live in Iowa and there really isnt a need for the heated carb here most of the time since the winters usually have dry air. The heated carb is to prevent carb icing and with little to no moisture in the air, this isnt an issue.

Allright is sounds like the 361 is it

Thanks for all the replays ,it looks like the 361 is the saw for me.Is 600 bucks and 2 extra chains the best deal for a ms361. 20 inch bar,no fancy chain tightener,no case. Thanks again Brad:greenchainsaw:

As one who traded in a 310 for a 361 I would give that a definite maybe.

I imagine when it comes time for major repairs, I'll be glad I have the metal crankcase...on the other hand, I've never been able to get the oiler to work properly on my 361 (and this is the 2nd oiler, replaced on a warranty claim).

YMMV.

A magnesium crankcase, vs, a plastic crankcase.

Just that above fact alone IMO would be worth the money, no matter who the maker of the saw is.

If you had the 2 types apart you would know which saw to buy first hand.

Thanks for all the replays ,it looks like the 361 is the saw for me.Is 600 bucks and 2 extra chains the best deal for a ms361. 20 inch bar,no fancy chain tightener,no case. Thanks again Brad:greenchainsaw:

There was a sale on the 361 with a 20" b+c in Ill this summer for $499 and the going rate around me in ohio new LIST STICKER is $569-$589.

I'd say the 361 too. If I had found this site before buying I would have probably bought a 2156/357xp, or a 361 over the 2152 I bought :bang:

I have the same problem as C4 does, the only time a saw makes me any $ is 1st, 2nd, or 3rd place. So for me the $200 bucks is well worth it. But I think if any one cut with both of those saws side by side they would be completely sold on the 361.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, how much your going to use the saw, if the added comfort and pro features are important, and how much your willing to spend.

In regards to the MS361 lasting twice as long. I'm not sure where that comes from, but that isn't true.

In regards to the plastic gas/oil tank housing vs the magnesium housing. Yes the plastic one may be a bit more susceptable to damage, but it works fine and it is plenty adequate.

If you spend some time on this board you'll rarely see anyone recommend a so called "homeowner" saw over a "pro" saw no matter what the user is planning on using it for.

Last edited:

Welcome to the site Brad, even Huskers are welcome! :cheers:

Having sold a 310 , and bought a 361,,,,,,,,, and never looked back, fantastic saw, good choice.

Now, what kind of year can we expect from the Huskers? I have always enjoyed there intensity.

I guess it all comes down to personal preference, how much your going to use the saw, if the added comfort and pro features are important, and how much your willing to spend.

In regards to the MS361 lasting twice as long. I'm not sure where that comes from, but that isn't true.

In regards to the plastic gas/oil tank housing vs the magnesium housing. Yes the plastic one may be a bit more susceptable to damage, but it works fine and it is plenty adequate.

If you spend some time on this board you'll rarely see anyone recommend a so called "homeowner" saw over a "pro" saw no matter what the user is planning on using it for.

Excellent post. The plastic/nylon that Stihl uses seems extremely durable to me. I know a construction worker who watched an 025 drop at least 15' on a concrete sidewalk and only the handle broke.

I'd buy the 361. Not that the 310 is a bad saw, but I tend to keep things for a Looooong time, and fix them myself. Give me something that was meant to be fixed eventually, and I'm happier. That just makes the decision somehow "right" for me...and a bunch of these other guys.

Your call, I'd do it.

Mark

Latest posts

Back