stihl 390 dukes kit

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DougMN

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
has anyone used THE DUKES piston and cylinder kit from ebay to make a stihl 290 into a 390, thanks

I've used the kits from just about everybody but don't recall Duke selling me one. They've all been okay as long as you use plenty of oil during break-in. I put a bit of 2 stroke oil on the assembly and mix the initial fuel/oil mixture kinda rich on oil for a few tanks, never had a problem.

I have used some of their stuff no issues but prefer Meteor and Hyway (pistons/cylinders)
over the rest of the aftermarket stuff.

Latest tragic upgrade I had was today while working on an 029 Super. I stumbled upon flaws in the case where the ignition module fastens. It was so bad that the mounting screws would not hold the gap setting. Then I was unable to remove the clutch because of over tightening and rust. Looks like the bearings were also shot along with the crank seals.

This saw was likely 22 years old, and I decided that many of the parts were worth saving, so it made it to my boneyard. Seldom do I give up, but his one forced my hand. You win some and you lose some. My rule of thumb is to do the take down first before ordering new parts.

Latest posts

Back