stihl 441 with a 28" bar (or 32")

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

clifforion

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Hi there this is only my second question on here my first was about an ash tree on my dads property and everyone was sooo helpful. I have another questions now though, my dads neighbor wants some trees down on the back of his property, and since I was helping my dad I took a few of his down also. Now he wants some more down the problem is they are big hardwood trees. The largest one I took down so far was 38" and that definitely is not the biggest one. Anyway to make a really long story short I think I might be in the market for a new saw, not just for this but to have a bigger saw myself. I was wondering if a stihl 441 would pull a 28" bar in hardwood? I know it will but I mean will it do it easily? I already figured I would use a skip chain. Just wondering about what others thought, again I know stihl says it can pull a 32" bar but not sure about that in hardwood? Another quick question about the 441 is a wrap handle a good idea or bad idea on that saw? Also would the m-tronic make a difference in this situation if I went that route? I am thinking the 441 cause a lot people like the new anti vibe and also people rave about the fuel economy over a lot of the other saws. Any pros or cons would be well apprenticed, I am not "stihl" loyal but I do like them enough and 441 seems have caught my eye so that's why I am thinking that one. thanks Keith

I know some people do it in the states. Here, (in Europe), it's a no-way. I don't know if it's because saws are more expensive (we therefore don't want to break them) or if just because we like more power. I put a 83cc cylinder on my 440 to run a 24" bar. Needed to run a 42"+ bar, got a 880. Skip chain will help but will be slower. Also make sure you don't lean to hard on that poor saw. Here, stihl specifies 20" is the best bar for a 441.

I have noticed that a lot people over in europe seem to like shorter bars. I have saws (or access to saws) with smaller bars so anything less that the 28" I can have covered. I don't want a saw that is a hog on gas I really would like to have an economical saw and the newer saws seem to have that going for them, not saying an older design is better or worse at all. So hence the question will a 441 ( or any other 70cc for that matter) be ok with a 28" (or bigger) bar in hardwood? Thanks Keith

It will definitely pull a 28-inch B&C, and will get stronger as it is broken in (if we're talking a new saw here.) Absolutely buried in hardwood you may find it bogging a big with full comp chain on a 28-inch bar, at least until break in.

Buy one full skip chain for it and one regular full comp chain at see which you like best. You'll always want at least one backup chain anyway. Go careful. Definitely takes some getting used to when entering the 70cc club with more weight and longer bars. Great club to be in. Safety first! :)

Last edited:
When my buddy was in the market for a new saw he looked at all the options and decided to go with the ms 660. That was earlier this year and we have used it on many of our tree jobs. It is very fuel efficient, actually I have a 441 and I really like it but the 660 cuts faster, is better on fuel, and is only something like 3 pounds heavier. We cant even tell the difference in wieght. Plus like we discussed if he buys a larger saw all he has to buy are different size bars and he has a tool for multiple trees. One saw a few bars 20"24"32"and a 36", and we can do any tree job. Plus he uses a regular chain, not skip or semi skip so it cuts faster too. Good luck in whatever you buy!

I am looking into a new saw not a huge fan of used stuff..just me though. I have been reading on here about how much better the 441 is for fuel economy than the 660 but from the last post...not so sure any more. I was looking at the 660 but was thinking the 441 might be a better choice in being more modern. It supposedly has better av and fuel efficient, was my thinking behind it. Just a blub here not saying a modern saw is better or worse just my thinking behind it. Might have to really look at the 660 better now.... It is nice to know though that from an earlier post a 441 will pull a 28" bar in hardwood though. I will have to do some more research on the 660 I guess. Anyway I will do some more research I guess just don't want to buy something and be really disappointed. Thanks again Keith

You have good taste in saws if you are looking at a 441. I got my first in 2006 and I just got a 441 R CM. What I am going to tell you is from my personal experience, not reading a spec sheet or what somebody told me. I have a MS660 that I keep a 36" bar on all the time and my 441's I normally run a 25" on but before I got my 660 I had a large oak to buck, it was a blow down, 36" dbh. I used my standard 441 with a 28" bar and it did a great job. I am sure the M-tronic version will do better and I would guess it could handle a 32" bar although I have never tried it. The 660 really shines in big wood and if you have alot of big stuff to work up that might be the way to go, however it uses WAY more fuel and the anti-vibe is not as good. Both the 441 and 660 are great, can't go wrong with either saw.

Steve

i wouldent run anything bigger then a 25" on that saw. just because it has enough power to pull a 32" bar doesnt mean its gonna cut fast with one. :msp_tongue:

I think based on your needs the 441 would be the better choice. Not knocking the 660 and we like ours but unless you plan on regularly cutting very large wood, I think the 441 would come out of your truck more often even if both the 441 and 660 were in the back. We rarely use our 660 but also don't have a 70cc saw so have to go to that if the 60cc saws won't cut it. As far as fuel economy, unless you are cutting for hours a day, I really don't think that should be a major consideration. You will want the best tool to accomplish the job. ie, My HHR get 30mpg, my truck gets about 15mpg. I drive the one that will do what I need at the time.

might need both...

Just wanted to add the thought that if you get a 441 and find out it won't do what you need, you will still want a saw in that class as there are so many times that it would be "just right".

Cant speak to the 441 However I can speak to 044 that I have and I have a 28 B&C it will pull it OK nothing to brag about I usually run 25 B&C when I find myself in wood that I need a larger saw/bar then 25 I go to my 084 with a 32B&C, slow but unstoppable runs like a beast just my .02 I know both of my saws are old and heavy but thats just me

The 441 will pull a 28'' skip chain in even ozzy hard wood.
I would go the 441C wrap model ya get
No tune
Better AV (stiffer springs as well)
Better filter system
Better on fuel
High out put oiler (for a 28'')
Twin bumper spikes
Roller chain catcher
Large clutch cover
Easy start system
Likes muff modds

Then if ya dont like the wrap handle just get a standard one and put on it.

I think based on your needs the 441 would be the better choice. Not knocking the 660 and we like ours but unless you plan on regularly cutting very large wood, I think the 441 would come out of your truck more often even if both the 441 and 660 were in the back. We rarely use our 660 but also don't have a 70cc saw so have to go to that if the 60cc saws won't cut it. As far as fuel economy, unless you are cutting for hours a day, I really don't think that should be a major consideration. You will want the best tool to accomplish the job. ie, My HHR get 30mpg, my truck gets about 15mpg. I drive the one that will do what I need at the time.

Well said.

The 441 will pull a 28'' skip chain in even ozzy hard wood.
I would go the 441C wrap model ya get
No tune
Better AV (stiffer springs as well)
Better filter system
Better on fuel
High out put oiler (for a 28'')
Twin bumper spikes
Roller chain catcher
Large clutch cover
Easy start system
Likes muff modds

Then if ya dont like the wrap handle just get a standard one and put on it.

Well said II.

I know some people do it in the states. Here, (in Europe), it's a no-way. I don't know if it's because saws are more expensive (we therefore don't want to break them) or if just because we like more power. I put a 83cc cylinder on my 440 to run a 24" bar. Needed to run a 42"+ bar, got a 880. Skip chain will help but will be slower. Also make sure you don't lean to hard on that poor saw. Here, stihl specifies 20" is the best bar for a 441.

That's really interestng. Every 441 I've seen on a dealer shelf here has a 25" bar on it. The Stihl catalog even recommends the 25".

[video=youtube;dHIezpugIh0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHIezpugIh0[/video]

I have a stock standard 441 that came with a 32 inch bar but I put on a 25 as it was lighter and more maneuverable and it flat rips with this set up. The wood is elm which is not real hard but harder than most anything I am usually cutting. In wood 30" and under I can't tell the difference in cutting speed between my 441 and 066. I fill my 441 up at the beginning of each trip and will usually last most of the day, now my 066 is a different story about every other tree it is begging for fuel. For really big hard wood and a long bar I would spend the money on the 660 and you won't worry that you didn't get enough saw especially if you need a bar longer than 32". Here is a video of my 066 in the same elm stump wearing a 32 inch bar. I might also add you can lean on the 660 a bit more than the 441.

[video=youtube;Gc3SvfDwkXo]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gc3SvfDwkXo[/video]

IMO a ported 441CRM-TRonic with a 28'' ES Light bar (same weight as a standard 20'') semi chisel skip chain 7 pin sprocket is my most used saw in the line up,i only use 660s for milling,36'' bars in dry very very hard Ozzy hard woods.
The 441Cs have got some many advantages over the old school saws its not funny,once ya start using them its hard to go back,bring on more MTronic models i say.
Stock 460 v ported 441C v 660 BB Kit v ported 660 all with same 28'' bar and chain, all 7 pin sprockets in hard wood,just remember the 441 is a 70 cc saw and this vid would be about as big wood i would takle in the real work environment with this combo.It is my number 1 felling saw nothing else comes close to it for work or play.
[video=youtube;Z3DoQd_Otp0]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z3DoQd_Otp0[/video]

I wouldn't hesitate to run a 28" on a 441 on a daily basis and a 32 on occasion if it's needed. The dealers around here set up 660's with 25" bars mainly due to the timber size, I put video's on here falling a 52" diameter ash tree with a 25" bar. Your picking a great saw in the 441, in my daily use I don't have any use for a wrap handle, in my useage they just add weight. I love my 460 but it guzzles the fuel.
You should be able to do anything you need to do in the woods with a 441, if I were buying a new saw tomorrow it would prolly be a new 441 m-tronic.

I wouldn't hesitate to run a 28" on a 441 on a daily basis and a 32 on occasion if it's needed. The dealers around here set up 660's with 25" bars mainly due to the timber size, I put video's on here falling a 52" diameter ash tree with a 25" bar. Your picking a great saw in the 441, in my daily use I don't have any use for a wrap handle, in my useage they just add weight. I love my 460 but it guzzles the fuel.
You should be able to do anything you need to do in the woods with a 441, if I were buying a new saw tomorrow it would prolly be a new 441 m-tronic.

i just got a 441 cm m-tronic. Love the saw. Awesome how it starts. 2 pulls cold and it just idles. Runs so nice. Makes me grin. Also cuts well. This morning I was felling some 18" pine and noticed the saw grabbed and stopped some in the wood. The saw is only on its 2nd tanks of fuel, but doesn't feel like it has as much grunt as my old 4200's. Does the torque on these increase as they are run some? I can't lean on it much in the pine without it grabbing. Might be the brand new chain that is one it. I have noticed my chains are a little grabby when brand new or first sharpened, and then after a little use, still cut good but don't grab as much. Hoping it is just all this. Everything I have read says these things have lots of torque for 70cc saw and really wake up after a few tanks. I just need to get out there and cut some more. 28" bar will be here today. Do I need to run skip chain? Or can I get by with the same stuff I run on everything else. I ran regular no skip chain on my 394xp with 32" bar with no problem. Most of the time I will not have the bar buried in wood as most of the trees I am cutting are not that big (but some are) :).

Latest posts

Back